Headers for 1966 Barracuda 273 Commando formula S

-

PWR

Reaction score
Hi, new to forum and Mopar. Have met nice people. What are my header options for this early A body. I am told narrower inner fender that a 67. Block hugger headers? And information would be appreciated.

Yeah, I'm not sure you have a lot of options. I don't think TTI makes any for narrow bodies. I don't know if Doug's or Hooker even make them, and most people wind up hating those by the time they smash them up enough to fit, even on a 67-69. I know the Spitfire tri-Y headers fit, but those are rarer than rare. Block huggers may not offer any improvement over the factory exhaust — it is supposed to be pretty efficient. I have a Commando in my 67. After the OEM system rusted out I went with dual pipes, but it's a real tight fit on the right side and I can't say that I noticed any performance improvement, it just changed the sound.

Yup.
Doug's D450/D450-B
Sanderson DD9
Layson's carries the Spitfires.
You might be able to find some old used Hooker or Headman fenderwell headers if you don't mind cutting out your inner fenderwells.
Blockhugger or Shorty headers don't fit without some rather drastic modifications:
Removing stock exhaust manifolds

Yup.
Doug's D450/D450-B
Sanderson DD9
Layson's carries the Spitfires.
You might be able to find some old used Hooker or Headman fenderwell headers if you don't mind cutting out your inner fenderwells.
Blockhugger or Shorty headers don't fit without some rather drastic modifications:
Removing stock exhaust manifolds
And I think TTI has some but real spendy. If you want to start a thread and make a list with brands and part numbers for early A's (63-66) I could make it a sticky.

My Doug's headers fit well, PITA to install but worth the work. 65

Doug's on my 66 Barracuda. As @Plymouth 65 said, fun to install but once you get them in, you're good. I did have to dent mine a little for the steering coupler. I have a 5.9 Magnum. Here's a couple of photos. I have different valve covers now, but you see how close tight they are.

IMG_20200221_213653.jpg

IMG_20200221_213720.jpg

IMG_20200221_213903.jpg

Here's what the Doug's look like. Driver's side has two slip joints and two bolt together tube's. I think the passenger side are all slip.

IMG_20191224_145057.jpg

Those cars just don't have a lot of room. I'll stick with my stock 273 and manifolds. LOL

And I think TTI has some but real spendy. If you want to start a thread and make a list with brands and part numbers for early A's (63-66) I could make it a sticky.
For some reason I thought they discontinued them, but you're right-
Tti 636A. $996-$1179 depending on finish/coating.

Doug’s on my 66’ Barracuda and 273 center console automatic with power steering.
IMG_4150.jpeg
IMG_4149.jpeg
IMG_1077.jpeg
IMG_4151.jpeg

For all the trouble and price those Doug’s and TTI’s look nice.

For all the trouble and price those Doug’s and TTI’s look nice.
Yes! Yes they do.
I like when at a show and the hood is open and the Chevy guys are amazed on how the heck those fit.

TTI's on my 65 Barracuda 4-speed, manual steering and manual disc brakes. Tight fit, but so were the 340 manifolds I ran previously. Added a lot to my 340; whether they are worth the trouble and expense for a stock 273 is another matter.

1724599041408.jpeg

1724599141539.jpeg

1724599664635.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back