Headers For a 318 in a 71 Dart

-

71318Swinger

Reaction score
Morning all,
Finally off the unexpected hiatus and back to it with the car, My father and I pulled the engine and trans out of the old girl this past weekend (only took 5 hours:cheers:) and it went surprisingly well. Well, A few months back i picked up a set of black jack headers off of Craigslist for cheap that are for small block mopar. After i pulled the exhaust manifold off the engine and got it ready for removal I decided to see what the clearance would look like on the drivers side and it looks like they come out to far and are going to hit the steering linkage. I'm looking for any suggestions on what i could do short of refabing the headers, and If any of you have found any good headers that slip right in without to much trouble, or maybe i should just get the old exhaust manifolds cleaned up and put those back in. Its a 71' Dart Swinger with the 318 all stock. Thanks for your time.

Those headers are not going to help much on a stock 318. Until you decide to tune that baby up a bit I'd just clean up the manifolds and put them back on.

Another Question Is I'm not going for a power set up so the extra horsepower from the headers is not to important to me but will i see any other benefits swapping out the exhaust manifold for headers?

*Edit* Thanks 1 fst Dart Posted before i saw your post

If you plan on adding headers, look at Doug's headers. There a 1-5/8 tune that doesn't hang low. Expensive units, but nice they are.

On a stock 318, even with adding a 4bbl. carb and intake, you will not really feel a difference. There is some. It will show up on a drag run. Minor, but there. The best reason to add headers is to help make the engine more efficient.

Headers help in mileage. Along with a well tuned carb and a MSD or equal sparking the fire, you can add 3 or MPG's. 2-1/4 pipe is all you'll need. Careful cam selection can also help.

Again, careful tuning. TAKE the TIME to do it well.

I ran the summit headers on my 71 swinger, I was very impressed with them, they even had good ground clearance, the lower tubes were around 5.5" from the ground, plenty of clearance, just don't drive like an idiot or fly over speed bumps & you'll be fine, Now these headers fit much better with MS & a mini stater, everything cleared nicely, didn't have to ding up one tube, Best 100.00 i ever spent. There 119.00 now, still a good price for a decent header IMO, even the paint never flaked off.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G9040/Application/?query=Year|1971

-
Back