Headers on a 360 in a '67 Dart

-

JohnnyRingo

Reaction score
Hi all,

My project involves placing a 360 inside my '67 Dart instead of the Slant 6 that is in there right now. It's my assumption that full length headers will not fit with the engine inside the engine bay for my Dart.

With that said, my plan B was to buy a set of those "Block Hugger" headers, perhaps through Summit Racing, to mount onto the engine. The engine already has the stock exhaust manifolds on there right now.

Any thoughts on this science project? Or does anyone see any issues?

Thanks a lot.

Kyle

Full length will fit fine. Ones that fit well are Dougs and tti. Anything else is a pain with ground clearance..

Full length will fit fine. Ones that fit well are Dougs and tti. Anything else is a pain with ground clearance..

Awesome, thanks a lot!

Now, being the noob that I am to this whole thing....can they be installed on the engine and dropped right into the bay, or would they need to be installed by coming in from underneath?

Thanks again.

Kyle

If engine is out of car, lay them in compartment and drop engine in.

If already installed, you'll be going in from the bottom.

I am running block hugger shorties which CAN be installed fairly easily and leave lots of room. You do loose flow with this option compared to long tubes though.

So..the majority opinion seems to be full length headers..right? I've never installed an engine in a car before, all of this is a learning experience. But I'm eager to learn as I go. So I can install Doug's or TTI full length headers, get the most flow and power, and still retain enough ground clearance to keep them from scraping up, correct?

That and it'd probably sound a lot f'ing cooler :)

So..the majority opinion seems to be full length headers..right? I've never installed an engine in a car before, all of this is a learning experience. But I'm eager to learn as I go. So I can install Doug's or TTI full length headers, get the most flow and power, and still retain enough ground clearance to keep them from scraping up, correct?

That and it'd probably sound a lot f'ing cooler :)

tti, dougs, hooker, headman headers all will flow about the same...all are long tube....

problem is ground clearance, only the dougs and tti do not hang down below the tie rods....and the one that hang below the tie rods will eventually small a couple tubes...road rash...

Cheap headers are painful to install and hang down like this (yes, this is a 67 Dart):

dartheaders.jpg

I used to run cheap long tubes. I cut them off with a recip saw and theew them in the junk pile.

I know the tight tube headers work-even for power steering. But, if you want above the steering linkage stuff to fit, it'll be a custom job unless you want your 2 1/2" stuff to be within about 4-5" of the ground.

-
Back