Headers or exhaust manifolds?

-

ConValiant64

Reaction score
I've got a '64 Valiant with a 318 and exhaust manifolds hooked up to what appears to be 2'' or smaller exhaust. I'd rather have 2.5'' exhaust with Flow Masters or some type of throaty performance mufflers. My dilemma: Do I keep the stock exhaust manifolds, buy better flowing manifolds (ie HP 340), buy shorty or full length headers? It would be helpful knowing the collector size of the current exhaust manifold a so I know what my options are. Any thoughts?

I've got a '64 Valiant with a 318 and exhaust manifolds hooked up to what appears to be 2'' or smaller exhaust. I'd rather have 2.5'' exhaust with Flow Masters or some type of throaty performance mufflers. My dilemma: Do I keep the stock exhaust manifolds, buy better flowing manifolds (ie HP 340), buy shorty or full length headers? It would be helpful knowing the collector size of the current exhaust manifold a so I know what my options are. Any thoughts?
Unless it's modified, your 318 won't know whether you have headers or manifolds. The 340 manifolds flow better than the teen manifolds do and have a larger outlet. I would recommend them and a nice exhaust. I believe TTI makes duals that hook right up to those manifolds. If you decide on a 4 barrell and a small cam those manifolds and exhaust would work well with your mods.

Last edited:
Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot of option for the early a bodies, I've got a 63 valiant and I'm using 360 magnum manifolds with 2.25 exhaust only braise I didn't want to spend almost 1000 on headers, those spitfires can be had for 500/6 but not sure you'll gain much on your 318 to justify it.

Jake

IMG_0250.JPG

IMG_0249.JPG

Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot of option for the early a bodies, I've got a 63 valiant and I'm using 360 magnum manifolds with 2.25 exhaust only braise I didn't want to spend almost 1000 on headers, those spitfires can be had for 500/6 but not sure you'll gain much on your 318 to justify it.

Jake

View attachment 1715065599

View attachment 1715065600
Are those the ones I sold you???

treblig

the best fit for early abodies are dougs headers.. not cheap though.. stock 273 manifolds wont accept much bigger pipes though.. i'd tune it real nice, drive it and then decide if it needs anything more.

How much power are you making? What are your goals? That determines what kind of exhaust you need.

How did you get the passenger's side to clear the inner fender???

treblig
I machined it down about 3/16, looks like I could have shimmed it and it might ha e cleared but wanted to make for sure.

Jake

I machined it down about 3/16, looks like I could have shimmed it and it might ha e cleared but wanted to make for sure.

Jake
And the driver's side?? I see you have manual steering.
What you did there is a real money saver and a great help to the engine!!:thumbsup:

Treblig

the best fit for early abodies are dougs headers.. not cheap though.. stock 273 manifolds wont accept much bigger pipes though.. i'd tune it real nice, drive it and then decide if it needs anything more.
Thanks, Joe. Makes sense. Saw you are selling your truck. Good luck.

I see the borgson U-joint on LurkDogs magnums. Was that mandatory? I always heard magnums could fit but was looking for the proof. so mil 3/16 off the passenger side and borgson U on the driver? That will save every early A owner 300 bucks over 340 logs.

Unless it's modified, your 318 won't know whether you have headers or manifolds. The 340 manifolds flow better than the teen manifolds do and have a larger outlet. I would recommend them and a nice exhaust. I believe TTI makes duals that hook right up to those manifolds. If you decide on a 4 barrell and a small cam those manifolds and exhaust would work well with your mods.
Pretty sure 340 won't fit on 64 drivers side

-
Back