Headlight switch knob replacement

-

69GT

Reaction score
I'm trying to replace the headlight switch knob on my Dart. I have a nicer one (that somebody already had the stem pulled out of) that I want to use. I've got the original knob with the stem still attached pulled out of the headlight switch. I need to get the stem out of the knob to put it in the other knob. Does anyone know a way of getting the stem out of the knob? I don't know if they were pressed or glued in but I can't get it to budge.

Use the old stem/knob they should be the same

Pull the switch on. After it is pulled push the button on the side of the switch that has a little spring behind it. The shaft will pull out of the switch while holding the button in.

If your knob is off the shaft throw it away it is junk. The shaft and knob should be one piece . once they are separated they will keep coming apart. I have one if needed you can see what they should look like in these pictures . There are a couple amongst these parts with shafts on them.

106_0736.JPG

106_0737 (2).JPG

Last edited:
To reinstall just push the shaft with the knob on back into the switch until it locks in. This is done after the switch is fastened in the dash

IIRC the stems have barbs on them. Push knob on and the barbs grab. Once you rip the stem out of a knob, the knob will probably need epoxy to re-use it.

Clamp the stem in a vise with soft jaws or backed up with wood so you don't distort the shaft under pressure. The last one I did, the knob pulled off the stem by hand with moderate force.

Good luck.

LOL some people did not read. Sorry I have no help. The knobs were not designed to remove. Not terribly sure just how you do that. I would try making yourself some scrap metal (aluminum or coper) vise "soft jaws" and clamp the shaft carefully in them so you don't damage the stem. Leave the knob "away" from the end of the vise jaws say, 3/8" or so. Put a small end wrench, 3/8" etc straddle of the shaft, and see if you can break/ pry the knob loose. You might also try putting the knob "up" in the vise and chisel the top enough to start to break the knob. Of course you'll have to epoxy the "new" knob back on

IIRC the stems have barbs on them. Push knob on and the barbs grab. Once you rip the stem out of a knob, the knob will probably need epoxy to re-use it.

Clamp the stem in a vise with soft jaws or backed up with wood so you don't distort the shaft under pressure. The last one I did, the knob pulled off the stem by hand with moderate force.

Good luck.
LOLOL!!!! I was typing and you beat me to it

Here is a video that will show you the button to push. Make sure your lights are pulled on before pressing the button or it will not release.

I've got the original knob with the stem still attached pulled out of the headlight switch
OP has the old knob and shaft out already

OP wants to remove OLD knob from old shaft and put NEW knob on the old shaft.

Personally I like the break the old knob idea.

You might get satisfactory reassembly with an epoxy.

BUT... I suspect one day you will be pulling the headlights on and have a knob on your hand. Just physics!

OP has the old knob and shaft out already

OP wants to remove OLD knob from old shaft and put NEW knob on the old shaft.

Personally I like the break the old knob idea.

You might get satisfactory reassembly with an epoxy.

BUT... I suspect one day you will be pulling the headlights on and have a knob on your hand. Just physics!

Maybe he doesn't know the whole shaft comes out and is part of the knob assembly. Easy to get out in the dash if he removes the fuse box with one phillips screw. I had many people come here that didn't know how to get the shaft out if the knob was pulled off. They just assumed the shaft was part of the switch

When I was just out of high school a friend of mine and I both had old Chevs. He yanked the knob right off his switch because he didn't know how to get it out. Of course, later, when you get the switch out, it's "DUH"

-
Back