Headlight switch problems?? 69 dart.

-

Hansen

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I got so many great answers on my last post so maybe you can help me with another issue? I bought a new OEM Standard 8 headlight switch to my dart, and the dash light only comes on when park lights is selected. when i put on headlights they go away. Also i can't get the dome light to turn on any way i turn the knob. i have wired it like in the picture (I don't have glovebox light that i know of). My old switch didn't have a ground on its back for some reason.. There might be a bad wire as i need to hold the switch in a certain spot to make the dash lights and park lights turn on.

update: i wired it wrong, pink was put on ''P''. put it on B2 and everything works perfect. thanks guys.

Headlight Switch Diagram.jpg

Last edited:
The switch needs to be grounded for the dome light to work. The original switch housing was grounded the dash frame with the mounting nut.
Grounding might be the problem with the dash lights too but kind of sounds like a bad switch.

The switch needs to be grounded for the dome light to work. The original switch housing was grounded the dash frame with the mounting nut.
Grounding might be the problem with the dash lights too but kind of sounds like a bad switch.
Thank you, I put the pink wire on ''P'' which is wrong. i'm gonna try to fix it after work

That diagram says 72, 69 may be different? Go to mymopar.com dig around there and download a free parts manual service manual and elec schematics

Sounds to me like that switch is AFU

Here is how they work:

B1 gets main power AND THIS IS NOT FUSED from the ammeter circuit. This powers ONLY the headlights, nothing else. There is a breaker in/ on the switch for the headlight circuit

B2 powers the rest, park, tail, and dash

The unconnected terminal is for park lights in later years, and this causes the park lamps to be on with headlights

The park circuit internally feeds the dimmer control. That power goes through the dash dimmer and OUT on the TAN wire to the inst. fuse in the fuse panel, then from there, feeds all dash lamps on orange wiring.

So for dash lamps to work, the B2 must be getting power and the park/ tail circuit working. The dimmer must be twisted somewhat left, and the inst. fuse must be good.

B1 gets black from weld splice hot at all times. B2 gets pink from ignition switch. To glove box on that drawing is wrong.

Thank you, I put the pink wire on ''P'' which is wrong. i'm gonna try to fix it after work
The only item that needs the housing to connect to ground is the dome light return.

I'm sure Redfish knows B2 is always hot and just didn't have his coffee this morning.
To recap:
B1 gets power direct from the main splice. Hot at all times. Not fused.
H is power out to headlight hi/low switch. There is an internal 15 amp circuit breaker in the switch.

B2 gets power (pink) from the main splice through the fuse box. Hot at all times.
R is parking lights front and rear.
T (may also be marked Inst) goes to fuse box and then to instrument lights.

D does not connect to anything else in the switch. It completes the domelight circuit to ground when the switch is turned all the way ccw.

Yep, I wont go back and edit my brain fart. B2 for the lesser lamps is hot at all times also.

update: i wired it wrong, pink was put on ''P''. put it on B2 and everything works perfect. thanks guys.

-
Back