Headlight Switch removal

-

maz72

Reaction score
On my 72 Duster, the headlight switch has finally met its maker. The knob attached to the bar has came completely out of the switch. When this happened I noticed that the ampmeter needle started dancing so there is something evil going on behind the dash inside of the switch.

I realize the switch has to be replaced but I am interested in finding out how this is best done and the easiest way. Does the entire gauge section have to be removed and if so, how is this done? If not, can someone detail how I can accomplish the replacement.

Also, my car is a 4-speed, how does the dash mounted reverse indicator light come apart to change the bulb. Mine seems fused together but I know it has to come apart some way. Thanks.

The removal of the switch itself is quite easy (or should be). The cluster also should NOT have to be removed. As you stated..the knob itself has pulled off the bar which runs into the switch itself. To remove the light switch you first must pull the electrical connector attached to it off. Reach up under your dash (trying to look) and pull the connecter off. Next, just un-screw the locking tab where the knob itself went into the switch at the front of your cluster. You may have to use needle nose pliers to turn the locking piece. The switch should just fall out of the cluster face. ***Note when out*** that the switch itself has a little push pin on the side of the switch. This push pin allows you to pull the whole knob/bar from the switch without pulling the knob off. Replacing the switch may fix your amp problems?? I'm not to sure about the reverse indication light...Only that a bulb has to be replaced on the backside of the cluster itself...(could be a *****, however you maybe able to feel the rear of the bulb and turn it about 45 degrees to get it out.
Good Luck.

-
Back