Headlights and Front turn signals not working

-

scott mattingly

Reaction score
All, During the past 6-months I pulled my engine, had it rebuilt and reinstalled it in my 1974 duster. After fighting with header & exhaust connections and chasing a few oil leaks, it is now fully back on the road and the engine runs/pulls well.
Before the engine removal all electric lights and gages worked fine. However, during the engine work some wiring has either been damaged or loosened as I have been having problems with both the Temp and fuel gages(both are the factory original types) working consistently but more importantly,... I just realized that all my front grill lights do not work. All other lights seem to be fine (internal & dash lights, rear taillights, rear turn signals, brake lights, marker lights, and the front fender top mounted little turn indicators). Is there some major wiring connection that would affect everything across the front grill? (I'll double check all my fuses tomorrow but I just noticed this as I was returning to the house at dusk this evening and realized my lights were not working.)
THX-Scott

My first thought would be ground. Depending on the year, many cars only have one (or two) eyelets to ground the harness up front.

Gauges are another matter.

Bulkhead connectors bumped during install. Disconnect And reconnect a few times, look at them for signs of corosion and melted plastic.

Did you re install the engine ground (Back of engine) to firewall back ? Probably not it but it's there for a reason.
Headlights I believe are on a fusible link (i think :eek:)

Jiggle your headlight switch around. Maybe it's on the way out. Just an after thought.

Folks,
Problem solved!! (THX to 67dart273) Yes indeed, it appears that 1974 had a single common ground wire for the front grill lights. I found a stray black wire with a stripped bare end protruding from the wiring bundle where it passed out of the front of the engine compete near the horn. It must have been originally pinched under one of the radiator bolts (or something else up front) that was removed or disturbed during the engine work. Made up a lug end for it and grounded it to the bolt that secures the horn mount. We have lights again!
THX

-
Back