Headline Bow ID, 1965 Dart 2 Door Hardtop

-

BillGrissom

Reaction score
Posting for posterity since I found little info on the headliner bows. Hope it helps others.

Apparently 2 and 4 door are same and 1964 & 65 same, but Darts have 6 bows and Valiants 5 bows. I marked my bows when removed. No assurance a P.O. didn't swap them, but the remnants appeared OE headliner. Another post stated same color markings as mine (65 Dart Headliner bows. WTF?). I also couldn't find a better order which fit the car. Lengths are straight across from tip - tip (not along curve), relaxed on the bench.

Front, Length, Color(s)
1, 48.0" , brown (bit orangeish)
2, 48-1/2", orange
3, 48-5/8", blue
4, 49-5/8", pink
5, 50-3/8", none
6, 48-1/4", red & blk
Rear
#6 has two spring clips which secure it in tension to the rear valance (convoluted end slides into hole to detent) and has 2 round 90 deg "shoes" which fit into round holes in the side of inner C-pillar. You can buy new spring clips (pricey), but not shoes.

Most Curved to Flattest: 5, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1

One is very tight against the roof (#4 recall) and one loose (#3 recall), but swapping them makes even worse.

Thanks for posting this. The bows for my coupe are all rusty and I never noticed any color markings. I have spares from my 2 door post parts car. It’s a long ways off at this point in my project, but I’ve been wondering how I would figure out how to sort them when it came time to install a new headliner. Again, thanks. This is very helpful.

Great info! Just to add to it, the order of colors is usually covered in the factory service manual. They call them "listing wires." Too bad they don't include the lengths since the colors sometimes fade (or rust).

Here's that section out of the 66 FSM:

1665352041139.png

Thanks. Others also said "no color" for #5 so perhaps the purple flakes off or fades. I only noticed black on the other side for #6, but perhaps it faded too. I cleaned rust off mine and painted with Rustoleum "For Galvanized" spray (bright) since they appeared zinc-coated. I covered the colored ends, but figured the lengths are best for posterity since distinguishable ("along bow" might be better since curvature could change). You want them smooth so the headliner can move around on them when installing.

I'm getting close to installing the headliner. Had to make new sail panels first since couldn't find the originals (recall tossing since not enough left for a pattern). I cut from thin ABS panel, just winging what it should look like (couldn't find any clear photos). Appears the panel is secured by 3 holes in the body, plus the bottom is clamped by the large curved sheet-metal piece. I popped two square plastic "license plate holders" in the oblong holes (for a thru-screw) and will use a door panel clip for the round hole. Not quite right, but "should work". I'll cover the panel with thin felt so the screws and clips aren't noticed. My 1965 C-body is different. The headliner stops at the top of the sail panel, tucking in behind. You cover the sail panel with headliner material and snap it on separately. Don't recall how the panel is secured (did it myself in 1992). Perhaps someone could do the same on an A-body, though the factory didn't. Need to get the headliner done so I can reinstall the rear window (out to paint) since rain will soon return to California and car is currently outside.

-
Back