Headliner 73 Dart Sport the 1 piece one?

-

DartSport340

Reaction score
Ok guys, I have a 73 Dart Sport 340 car. It needs a headliner. Ive heard people tell me there are 2 options. Im leaning towards option#2 as it is the only one i KNOW actually fits/works for sure.

1. Find the bows for a 72(or what ever the nearest model year was before they changed to the solid 1 piece style) get those and then get a fabric liner from a 71/72 model..i was told it "SHOULD" fit(but have absolutely no idea as ive found no one that actually has done this. Will this DEFINATELY work? ahs anyone actually done this on a 73 Dart Sport?

2. Get one of the big 1 piece(ABS? Plastic?) headliners they came out with a couple years ago for the 73 & up model year and put that in. Question I have is has anyone put one of these big 1 piece headliners in? How was the install? any tips,hints about the install and what to look out for?

Give me a review on the big 1 piece headliner if you have installed one and any tips/hints/tricks to a easier install and what do you think of the product itsself? Good quality? is it worth the $$$?

im assuming the 1 piece is the way to go? Thankin advance guys.

I know I bought an aspen parts car for the one piece card board head liner. it is held in by the inside roof trim and can be put in by one person but it is kinda a pain to do by yourself.

My friend and I made our own headliner for a '73 Dart Sport from Centra plastic. It's a plastic sheet used in signmaking, comes in 1/8" thickness or a little thicker. Seems to me we had the thicker stuff and wished we had the thinner stuff. We used the cardboard as a template and made the new headliner in 3 pieces, then glued modern headliner felt to it. Looked pretty good.

FWIW, I believe Legendary makes a conversion kit to go from one piece back to cloth.

I just ordered a 1 piece from Dante's Mopar. He said they're fairly easy to install and that would be best if you had two people doing it because of the size. I'd also like some more info, if anyone has a repop?

My friend and I made our own headliner for a '73 Dart Sport from Centra plastic. It's a plastic sheet used in signmaking, comes in 1/8" thickness or a little thicker. Seems to me we had the thicker stuff and wished we had the thinner stuff. We used the cardboard as a template and made the new headliner in 3 pieces, then glued modern headliner felt to it. Looked pretty good.

i dont have the cardboard anymore for a template..it had to be ripped out years ago as it was totally trashed

I just ordered a 1 piece from Dante's Mopar. He said they're fairly easy to install and that would be best if you had two people doing it because of the size. I'd also like some more info, if anyone has a repop?

agreed, i just figured someone had actually used this part already lol...guess not.

I put a retro fit bow/fabric type in my 73 sport. It worked out nicely. You just need to be careful, take your time, and think about what you are doing as you proceed with the work.

I am going to get a new 1 piece for my 73 inthe near future as my original is starting to deteriorate. I can't retro-fit a vinyl one due to the sunroof.

DartSport340, I have my cardboard liner out and if it would help you I could trace it out on some paper for you. Mine is a '72 Duster.

65s, I am very interested in doing what you have described. Why did you do this in three pieces?
Thanks,
C

i think if I can i may just go the route 66dartgt went and retrofit one. 66dartgt How did this work what did you order and what did you need(i assume i will need bows?) and do they sell all this as a kit? Oh and id buy the kit and have someone that knows how to do headliners do it for me...im not one to try to do something i could totally ruin when i dont know what im doing.

clhyer, I think because the sides crease down...

DSCF0036 (Small).JPG

I have a 72 that i am taking the board type out.I am installing the cloth type OLD SCHOOL if your not expericed with the cloth type. Go with the hard board type easy install

I have a 72 that i am taking the board type out.I am installing the cloth type OLD SCHOOL if your not expericed with the cloth type. Go with the hard board type easy install

im going to have SOMEONE ELSE(the same guy that put the one in the 69 roadrunner I had) put in the cloth one if I do it..it seems cheaper and I dont have to pay the horrible shipping rate for the 1 piece one. Im just trying to figure out if I "retrofit" the cloth one what do I need...what year cloth headliner? what Bows as in out of what year A body, and do they make a actual KIT that has all of this(the headliner and the bows) in it?

The kit I ordered was from legendary, it included the bows, fabric, and rods etc the whole mess. I seem to remember it being around 150-200$ for the whole thing but that was 8 years ago too, prices probably went up since then.

The kit I ordered was from legendary, it included the bows, fabric, and rods etc the whole mess. I seem to remember it being around 150-200$ for the whole thing but that was 8 years ago too, prices probably went up since then.

thanks i will have to see if they still have/,make this and then compare the prices of the 2 and see which is less. I still have a feeling the fabric will be less but hey..you never know.

-
Back