headliner info

-

rbkt65

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
71 dart. is there a 1 pc headliner for it as opposed to the bow style? how is it held in? how does it look after install? ok or like chit and apple butter? tia.

The cardboard headliner is 3 pieces, the windshield and backlight seals hold the front and rear, the side trim holds the sides, dome light holds the center. “B” pillar is held in just about the same way.

I put the ABS plastic headliner from rock auto in my 72 Duster and I think it looks fine. They do not list one for a 71 Dart but they do for a 73/4.

36E6488B-F5E8-4629-B717-45A98CFFF611.jpeg

I put one of the ABS headliners in my Dart Sport which came with a one piece headliner. If you go this route, be prepared to do a LOT of trimming to get it to fit. Unfortunately, as far as I know, there is only one manufacturer so shopping around for one that fits better is pretty much out of the question. I suggest you might want to check out the You Tube videos. I was surprised at how much ended up getting trimmed to make it fit.

I put one of the ABS headliners in my Dart Sport which came with a one piece headliner. If you go this route, be prepared to do a LOT of trimming to get it to fit. Unfortunately, as far as I know, there is only one manufacturer so shopping around for one that fits better is pretty much out of the question. I suggest you might want to check out the You Tube videos. I was surprised at how much ended up getting trimmed to make it fit.
Any pointers as to where the most work will be needed?

I didn’t trim one part of my abs liner. It actually went in really darn smooth. The front glass was removed. I believe dart sport and duster should be the same.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I just saw the question. I took about 3/4 of an inch at the front corner driver's side tapering down to about 3/8 by the time I got all the way back to the rear window. On the passenger side, it was about 1/2 inch all the way back. Front lined up great but the back needed some trimming too. As Jim Ward said, the front glass should be out. The trimming wasn't difficult, i just left the propane torch on and kept the blade hot. If you have a covered liner, you need to take care not to go through the plastic and cut the headliner material. Patience is a virtue here.

-
Back