Headliner Install Questions

-

gerahead

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
Question for you guys on headliner installation. I have posted these questions on the Members Restorations forum as well. I have the style that has the bows slipping into a set of three holes at different heights in each bow location. The headliner was removed prior to me getting the car, so I don't know what the previous locations were. I have a set of bows from a boneyard donor that I marked for position when I removed them. I haven't found any info that answers these questions. How do I . . .
- determine the correct hole to install the bows, height-wise?
- do the bows all need to be installed at the same height?
In dry run, the center bow hits up against the roof when I use a set of holes that both ends of the bow will hold up in. Are they supposed to ride up against the roof and "flatten out" by design? I've done a headliner before, but didn't have this issue because I took the old one out. Thanks for your help! L8r

Jim

Question for you guys on headliner installation. I have posted these questions on the Members Restorations forum as well. I have the style that has the bows slipping into a set of three holes at different heights in each bow location. The headliner was removed prior to me getting the car, so I don't know what the previous locations were. I have a set of bows from a boneyard donor that I marked for position when I removed them. I haven't found any info that answers these questions. How do I . . .
- determine the correct hole to install the bows, height-wise?
- do the bows all need to be installed at the same height?
In dry run, the center bow hits up against the roof when I use a set of holes that both ends of the bow will hold up in. Are they supposed to ride up against the roof and "flatten out" by design? I've done a headliner before, but didn't have this issue because I took the old one out. Thanks for your help! L8r

Jim
What car Jim?

Duh, sorry! It's a 71 Dart 2 door hardtop.
No problem!

Do you have the headliner clips that the bows fit in to to secure them in position?

Here's a pic.

1714827277535.png

Here's a pic of the necessary clips and retention springs needed to complete the install

1714827409893.png

Ok, this is what is contributing to my confusion. From what I could see from the pix in the factory service manual, the bow clips you show fit into a square shaped depression in the roof rail, kinda like a J-nut. Am I good so far? Mine (and the bow donor car) don't have those depressions. The bows have a reverse bend hook at the very end that fits into 1 of three holes at each site that are arranged in a triangle of varying heights. My description is probably confusing and I can't post any pix until tomorrow if that helps.

I set mine so they contact the padding on the roof (ceiling) so they don't move while the car is running. Would kinda suck if I did all that work and they rattled. And mine is a '72 so it didn't have all the holes in the edges-only the two sets at the back. I assumed the idea was to have each bow perpendicular to the roofline so as I was dry fitting I picked the holes in the back that made the bows look straightest. Having to drill the rest meant I could put the bow right where I wanted it.

My journey, if it helps.

Last edited:
I set mine so they contact the padding on the roof (ceiling) so they don't move while the car is running. Would kinda suck if I did all that work and they rattled. And mine is a '72 so it didn't have all the holes in the edges-only the two sets at the back. I assumed the idea was to have each bow perpendicular to the roofline so as I was dry fitting I picked the holes in the back that made the bows look straightest. Having to drill the rest meant I could put the bow right where I wanted it.

My journey, if it helps.

WymanV, thanks for the link to your project. I think that there might be some helpful hints in there. L8r!

Jim

-
Back