Headliner installation

-

kenny b

kenny b
Reaction score
Finally getting around to the headliner in my Demon. I put on 2 new rear quarter panels and have the back window out. Has anybody here attempted to install their own headliner. Originally I purchased the car in Miami and the interior was stripped out. I bought a new headliner at carlisle last July with sailboards, insulation and all hew clips and hardware. I also bought a set of used bows from a member here on his board. What is my next step or should I send it to a professional. I've been a licensed auto tech for 30 plus years but this one has me a little nervous. Please share your experiences.

Kenny B

I put a new headliner in my 65 Newport ~1991. It was a little loose at first, but has tightened up and still looks great. The old type with the bows are fairly easy. There are spurs around the edges, under the inside trim, that grab it. Just don't trim it short. I will soon be putting one in my 65 Dart, and have the interior gutted now. I will leave it in the sun first to get it smoother, and try to install while warm. Maybe you don't want it too tight at first, since it will shrink and you don't want a seam to tear.

Before you install it, derust and paint the roof, since the factory usually did a poor job and you don't want a rust-thru. Also insulate the roof. My Newport had this nasty fibrous stuff. I replaced it with the foil bubble sheets from Home Depot, normally used in attics. I don't recall using glue, I just arched it over the ceiling and bows hold it up. I have some for my Dart.

Yup, did it in the Duster. Much easier with the glass out. Just be patient and take your time. I used lots of clothes pins and spring clamps to hold things while the glue set. In fact, I didn't attempt it all in one day. Your biggest challenge will probably be getting the bows in the correct order. Be sure you have the listing hooks for the rear bow.

I have some pics here: http://70duster440.com/reassembly.html (scroll down)

Resto Rick has some good tips as well as bow reference info here: http://www.restorick.com/tech/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=5

You can go online to youtube to find several movies on how to do this properly. I don't have a specific link offhand but it's easy to find.

-
Back