Headrest Mounts

-

69cudaownr

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a set of headrests.
Can someone tell me if my bucket seats in my 69 Barracuda would have headrest mounts under the vinyl if they never came with headrests?
If I could add headrests then where would I find the chrome exterior mounts?

69cudaownr, your seat is not going to have the headrest mounts under the cover unless it originally came with headrests and someone recovered the seats. However, the seat frame under the vinyl will be drilled for the headrest mounts. There is more to the mounting hardware than just the chrome bezels. Under the vinyl there would be 2 plastic guide sleeves that mount to the top brace of the seat frame. Then, about a 1/4 of the way down the seat back, there is another brace that is drilled to accept the lower mounting sleeves that also have a flat metal tang. This tang has a bent end that rides along the headrest shaft and locks into the grooves cut into the bottom of the shaft to hold the headrest in the adjusted position. There are a few grooves cut into the shaft to allow for up and down adjustment, and the tang drops into the groove as you pull the headrest up or down. The chrome bezels also act as a guide for the headrest shafts, but they are only part of the puzzle. There is a place I see a lot in the Mopar magazines that reconditions headrests, I can't remember the name, but I will look in some of my magazines and post it when I find it. I don't know if they sell the hardware, but they would certainly know if it is available. I hope all this makes sense, and I'll look for that companies name!! Geof

I have a set of chrome bezels from a '72 Swinger bench seat. Don't know if they would be the same or not. They are in nice shape. PM me if interested. I will be out of touch for a couple days...
C

Geoff,
Yes, that all made sense to me. Thanks for the info.

Clhyer,
I will look into the other parts before contacting you for the chrome mounts.

Thanks to both of you,

Greg

The hardware out of a bench seat will work, but it may have to be from an A-body bench. I am not positive about that though, but I know in B-body circles the headrests are the same from bench to bucket. Geof

-
Back