Heads up Help for you guy's about 5.7

-

swifter

Reaction score
Just a heads up for you guy's--when I did my conversion,Now 4 years ago there wasn't much in the way of aftermarket choices as to where you bought parts.Don't forget your local dodge dealer!!!!!!!!! I did not have connections when I started my project but got to know the local parts manager because of ordering the odds and ends that i needed through-out my build,Here is one I need at the moment: Rear main oil seal from dealer $18.95---From Arlington $93.50--I called Arlington about the seal to see if it was different in some way and the answer was "NO"-
Just wanting to help some of you guy's save some money--Steve

Nice job Steve helping guys save $$$ but I think you meant Arrington Performance not Arlington.

Yeah, it's surprising on some items the dealer is alot cheaper. I can't figure out why Arrington would charge so much, did it come with anything else or just the seal?

factory charger exhaust(as good as most would need) are ~120 a side from the dealer, headgaskets cost me 25 bucks each, dealer parts are surprisingly cheap for hemi's

I just bought a rear main seal from my dealer for my 6.1 but I'm using a truck pan... Is there a different seal for the trucks/ keeps bc the pan doesnt have the two end bolt holes?

I don't begrudge Arrington or anyone else earning a profit. I also understand that Arrington may have to pay retail for all the factory parts they sell, but to charge 5 Times the price is simply theft.

Back when I was into dune buggies there was a guy out at Glamis named Dirty Bob who did repairs. He simply charged list price for all his stuff. This turned out to be about 30% higher than most retailers. Never begrudged the guy, the nearest parts store was 100 miles away. He could have charged double list, but he chose to only charge a mild premium that I was glad to pay for the convenience.

Sometimes getting parts from the dealer is like pulling teeth and thus a 30% premium might be worth the convenience, but 5X is ridiculous.

Thanks for the heads up Swifter, Mopar stuff often seems to get a price premium and its nice to see any way we can get stuff at a reasonable price.

We need to be creative and shop around for our parts.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Great reply's guy's Thanks,Hope it helps some guy's--All I wanted to do was let people know that the dealers sometimes aren't that bad with prices,I was really surprised at some of the savings I got--not trying to bash shophemi Just hope some think it's not the only place to buy some parts.--Steve

You guys must have good dealers then, I know back when I first did the swap and was looking for parts the dealer was usually my last option. They almost always had the parts, just some ridiculous prices. Set of piston rings? $40 a piston, and when you need 8 that adds up in a hurry.

I have heard that some dealers are better than others though, and it never hurts to make a friend behind the parts desk. I don't think the one in my town is really high volume or a primary dealer or something, so they're usually higher than others. What got me is that one day I needed a front main seal and really wanted it same day so I could get the front cover on and seal the engine up. I called around to three or four different dealers in the nearby cities (because the one in town was out of stock) and got three different prices for the same part.

Charger--I wouldn't know if the seals are the same,I would think since the 6.1 crank can be installed into a 5.7 block it almost would have to be--Steve

I have found that Henson motorsports offers really good pricing. They are a dealer out of Texas. They ship fast, and are always cheaper than local for me.

Surprise!!!!!! I went to pick up my new seal today,I thought it would be just a seal I had to press into the horse shoe assembly that bolts to the back of the motor.I picked it up and it's the WHOLE assembly unreal for $21.00 with tax!!!!!! Christmas come early sometimes!!!!!!! Steve

There are a number of online Dodge parts dealers that had better prices than my local dealer.

-
Back