Heads up racing!

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
If all goes to plan my dart will be hitting the track tomorrow for the first time since my motor rebuild. It's a Thursday test and tune then a race called Thursday night lights. Arm drop heads up elimination racing. I have never done it before and honestly I am just using it as an excuse to get some passes in. Luckily I got the quick time pro slicks so I can run in the street class :). I am hoping to run high twelves in testing then dial it back to a low thirteen for the eliminations. Does anyone have any words of wisdom for this type of racing?

Be patient,keep a cool rational state of mind.Best of luck.

put the butterflies to rest, just do it and have fun.

I don't know what to tell you doogie, as I've never run in anything like that. Sounds like a take off of "Pinks all out" or something?

I'm guessing if they pair you off by tires, you'll be a sitting duck come eliminations. No doubt some 8/9 sec "street tired" boost/spray cars will show up. Just make the most of your runs, get some info on the car, and as always, Be safe & have fun. :thumleft:

They are just doing it by times. I'm really just nervous about what times I'll turn. Not into this type of racing. I have the new rebuild first pass jitters :)

Relax,and pay the attention to breaking in & tuning that new mill.

Nothing better then heads up racing! Just go and have fun! Who gives a chit if you win or lose, your out there to run the car for a good time.

So is it index racing? You said you were going to dial it back to 13.0, so I assume that is what you're talking about. If so, kill the tree and try not to take too much stripe. Also, watch your competition and see who is running way under the index....Since your car will probably be capable of running under the index, the folks that run under the index are good candidates to drag down the big end and drop the anchor (making them break out). For your car, find a good place to spot drop to kill however much ET you need to hit your index...however; this takes time and practice to do well, so you may not have time for this in your 2-3 time runs. Have fun!:thumleft:

Nothing better then heads up racing! Just go and have fun! Who gives a chit if you win or lose, your out there to run the car for a good time.

Relax,and pay the attention to breaking in & tuning that new mill.

This above! A body bomber's quote first, then Mshred's comment.
Then just keep your eyes open to what's going on.
Second, just start talking to people. Make a few friends and ask for help. DO NOT worry about anything or anybody when asking for help. Be it for a screwdriver you forgot or someone's advice.

I don't have the luxgury (sp?) of a track near by (and I have the worst roads to travel on) to enjoy an easy day at the track. So when I go, I always walk around and try to find a friendly face and start talking. Most guys are out right pretty helpful and a decent bunch to lend a hand and time.

Make a tool list, like, timing light, screwdrivers for the carb, wrenches for the distributors hold down & carb, tire pressure gauge, etc....

This above! A body bomber's quote first, then Mshred's comment.
Then just keep your eyes open to what's going on.
Second, just start talking to people. Make a few friends and ask for help. DO NOT worry about anything or anybody when asking for help. Be it for a screwdriver you forgot or someone's advice.

I don't have the luxgury (sp?) of a track near by (and I have the worst roads to travel on) to enjoy an easy day at the track. So when I go, I always walk around and try to find a friendly face and start talking. Most guys are out right pretty helpful and a decent bunch to lend a hand and time.

Make a tool list, like, timing light, screwdrivers for the carb, wrenches for the distributors hold down & carb, tire pressure gauge, etc....

Tool list is a VERY GOOD IDEA! I have one that I check off every time before I go to the track so that I don't forget anything...oh, and you definitely will go and realize afterwards there is something else you should have brought that you could have used or needed, so keep updating it :thumleft:

Watch the arm drop guy a few times. Study him, most of them move their knees first ;)

I used to race off an arm drop almost every weekend lol

I've ran the car before and been to the track my whole life. I got the log book, tools, drinks...all the necessities. I was just curious if anyone did any of this racing before.

Big let down. Way too many cars and people running around. Car ran slower then exoected and had to pick a class without ever running the car.

Well you tried! Sounds a little chaotic? Hopefully a more laid back T&T will be available to you in the near future?

What was your ET and did you race in any classes?

When I first got there they tried to stick me in 10.50 and faster because everything else was full. I found Someone in the 11.50-12.99 class that had broke and I took their spot. This was all going on during tech. So before I ran my brand new motor
I had to pick a class without knowing what it will run.

-
Back