Heat-sink trans coolers. Who's got them, and how do you like them?

-
You should stay with what you think is best, fits your application and what you know from your actual experiences with use. That’s good.

I don’t know what heat sink you’re referring to. The one I have has internal and external fins the entire length, and is mounted in a location where it will see fan blade airflow at stops, as well as airflow through the radiator (yes....it will be hotter air...) but will actually see good ambient temp airflow from underneath when rolling. Got lots of air there with my setup. YRMV. Yeah, we know wtf we’re doing round here :thankyou:

Setting aside what style of cooler is best, this isn’t about what is best. We all know what is best, the long gone OP’s question was had anyone tried one and what their results were. Focusing on the question as to whether these heat sink style contraptions work or not is the topic. There are various reasons why one might consider using one.

My initial “in use” results say yes they do/can. In short, positive results are largely dependent upon where it is placed. Good air flow at a stop and while rolling is key.
Having said that, merely plumbing in a 24” dual pass heat sink in line between the two existing coolers (rad and aux fan cooled stacked plate coolers) I’ve seen a reduction of about 10° maybe 15°. This after a good 30+minute stop&go drive and full throttle runs in 85° ambient temps. Engine temp showing 185°-190° and trans temp ultimately reaching about 195° to no more than 200°.
Approx 10° above engine temps vs the typical 20°+ above as seen prior.
Again, not about what is best, is it worth it for the amount of additional cooling or anything else. There is a reduction in temps. Longer term use and results will tell the tale. Hope that helps those that were/are wondering about these style coolers as I and the OP were. YRMV

Race car stuff, but going hot laps with a trans brake can really drive temps up. I use the “log” under the bumper (like the added capacity) in tandem with my aluminum radiator that utilizes a factory style heat exchanger. With bracket racing I like to get the trans to op temp, but not cook it

IMG_0030.jpeg

IMG_1868.jpeg

-
Back