Heater and A/C boxs are they the same???

-

Dodgenut64

Reaction score
Looking on ebay i noticed some people are selling heater and A/c boxs for 66-70 something darts. Did the boxs change on a certian year? 66 darts were the last of the early As, but i thought 65 was the first year for factory A/c that was in the dash (not hanging down below). If they would fit a 66, should they also fit in a 65,64, and 63 models, as far as thier size and fitment? My guess is in 65 dodge made an indash a/c unit and used it again in 66, the 67 dart is a little wider then an early A, but would they have really needed to make a new heater A/C box? Maybe they did use this same box for the second gen darts aswell for a few years. Any ideas? looking at pictures, the boxs look the same up unitl a certain year like 72.

My uncle has a 71 Dart a/c car. He took it all out to replace it with non a/c stuff from a 73 duster and some stuff is different. Not sure on the early a-body cars, it is worth looking into though.

I believe 65 still had underdash, possibly dealer installed. On e-bay there are two 65 darts both with underdash units. In 66 it appears the only real change from the cowl back is the configuration of the dash and placement of the seats, they are set a little wider to accomadate the console. From the cowl forward it appears the only change was the shape of the fenders, hood and grill, everything else appears to be the same as 65. So conjecture to me would be if 66 had an in dash unit there shouldn't be any reason I can see that it wouldn't fit into the pre 66 cars.

63 64 65 66 a bodies should inter change,,,heat or a/c

66 dealer installed, a/c units were under dash,, and a seperate unit from the heater box, i dont know if 65 was available factory or dealer only,,,

66 and up factory the heater a/c box are under the dash,, one unit,, with a vent mounted under the center of the dash,,i believe the 66 vents were metal,,not sure what year they turned plastic,,

Thanks, i gonna use a heater-A/C unit out of a 67 barracuda.

before you use a 67 unit,, in a pre 66 A body,, check and measure the size of the round hole,,on you car,,and compare it to the 67 ,, the hole im talking about is,,when you remove the heater box,,from under the dash,, you will have a giant round hole under the dash,,under the cowl area,,this is where the fresh air comes in,,when you open the fresh air door,,,on the far right side of the car,,the one with the big handle,, you turn down,,then the door opens,,if he hinges arent rusted or broke,,,and the nusually all kinds of junk blows in and makes a mess of your interior,,i think that hole in the 67 and up A body is bigger then the hole in the 66 A body and older,,,if its not,,please let us know,,,but im sure it is,,,,

OK, your talking about the "fresh air" vent box. I thought on an old post someone was actually talking about the blower motor hole. the post is about 4 pages back. As far as the cowl outside air opening, ill check for ya guys.
Im going to have to modify that side anyway. Im putting a 65 Monaco dash in my car, and under the dash (just below the steeringwheel) are two cables you pull to open up the monaco's outside air vents, which actually open in the kick panels. Im wanting to make my car do this. The only catch is ill have to modify the passengerside "box" that your talking about. Im gonna have to make some serious mods for this to work, so i dont even think im gonna use the actual air box itself. I bought a welder and need to practic abit, but when i decent and ready to make this mod Ill post it so you can see how crazy itll be. the area we're talking about is gonna be the hardest part of it.
I just need the 67 to fit under my dash and clear my wiper motor first, then ill have cleared the first hurdle.

in A early A the blower motor hole in the fire wall is smaller on NON A/C car
and bigger on an A/C car..so is the outer ring

OK, got the A/c box in today. the passenger fresh outside air box on this 67-68 barracuda heater a/c box is the same size as the one on my 64. Im still measuring stuff, but looks like the fan motors center is the same as on my 64, with the exception the a/c units fan may be bigger, gotta check that yet. Ill have to drill holes for the A/Cs plumbing, does anyone have any close up pics of a 66 with A/C?

Heres a pic of the unit. Im concerned about the gap you can see between the heater box and were the a/c and fan attach to the heater box. My guess is that gap shouldnt be there. You can see it in the pic with the top view.

28ac_1.jpg

206f_1.jpg

i do not understand what gap you ar e looking at,,but glad t ohear that the fresh air opening is the same size

Sorry, right here. Also, i think the evaporator (is that the the part in the car next to the heater?) on this 68 cuda unit is closer to the water inlets and outlets then i think would be on a 66 car. The hoses with the threads need to be over an inch to miss the little hump in the firewall. I guess if i get a 66 evaporator, the pipes should clear the hump. Ill look more into it this weekend and take some pics.

gap.jpg

doesnt someone make an after market A/C unit that will fit easily into a car? would be much easier than trying to fit a factory made part for one year into another.

I just... can't remember the name of the guys who make it off the top of my head.

that gap wont effect any thing i do not think,,that part of the blower shopuld be under the dash,,not thru the fire wall,,,,

and yes,,,to the question about after marker air,,,look in the mopar magazines,,,they do go to the bigger mopar events,,with a display,,,all tho when i was at the nats last year,,every time i went back to there booth,, there was a sign,,that said back in 15 minutes,,,guess he was out looking at cars,,,
the company is classic air,, they make a kit for mopars,,

the only catch with the aftermarket air is, they make you cover up your fresh air vent box on the passengerside, which i wont do.

im sure there is a way around closing up the fresh air vent,,,i am going to take a junk heater box,, and cut the end off with the fresh air box and door,,
and make it look like the one on the drivers side,then install an after market heater,,,as close to center under the dash as possible,,
if you can locate a heater delete car,,that car will have a passenger side fresh air box with no heater attached,,,i got one out of a 66 valialnt once and gave it to a friend ,,that was at the time building a old school straight axel 66 barracuda,,,needless to say that car is still sitting,,he is now workign on a 55 delivery that will also never see the light of day,,,i keep thinking about calling and asking for the fresh air box,,,,,

-
Back