Heater Box retainer Clip reinstall Help

-

golden72

Reaction score
Hi everyone. My first time EVER starting a thread on any forum, so here I go.
I have an '72 Dodge Dart swinger, 318 engine with A/C. I'm replacing the heater core and there are 11 retaining clips that hold the two sides of the housing box together. My question is. Is there a trick to reattaching the retaining clips or is there a special tool? I removed them with a screw driver but when I try the reverse procedure of inserting the screw driver into the slot and prying upward , or prying downward and pressing in the center of the clip hoping to slide it over the lip of the slot, there is no relaxing of the tension on the clip which allows me to lift it over the lip and snap it into place. I'm afraid if I pry too hard I will break the fiberglass slots. Each time it slips off the screw driver and simply becomes a projectile. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Try searching for the manual download for your '72. I'm sure the factory manual will show or tell you how it's done. Never messed with one myself. Dan

it's been a while but I think I used rubber mallet to knock those back in.

I will check again to see if the manual has a section covering this.
The mallet? I'm a little uncomfortable with it cause know me, I'll hit the thing to hard and it's all over.
Thanks guys.
Allen

I just did they same thing to my 64 Valiant on Thursday.
Put the rounded edge of clip into depression on heater box, put screwdriver blade into slot, did not try to open up clip, just held screwdriver with one hand and gave the back of screwdriver handle a quick thump with the palm of my other hand and it snapped right into place

I just did they same thing to my 64 Valiant on Thursday.
Put the rounded edge of clip into depression on heater box, put screwdriver blade into slot, did not try to open up clip, just held screwdriver with one hand and gave the back of screwdriver handle a quick thump with the palm of my other hand and it snapped right into place

This method works perfect every time!

-
Back