Heater Control Mechanism

-

pacuda59

pacuda59
Reaction score
I've only had my car (69 Barracuda) for a couple of months so I'm still finding the kinks. I think I'm gonna have to start lifting weights again to adjust my heater controls. It really takes a lot of effort to slide arms from left to right. Is this something that a little grease will take care of or should I plan on replacing the mechanism?
Also, I get no heat but that's another thread.....

It could also be the cables and vent doors sticking.

Start by lubing everything.....control, cables, flaps.......before you break something. If you find a component that is bad, just replace that.

Detroit Muscle has heater box rebuild kits for your car & every other gasket. I have installed one of their kits, and it worked perfectly.
http://detroitmuscletechnologies.com/

Those cables may just need some lubrication. Try some liquid graphite that would be used on locks. I think you could trickle it down the cable while working it back and forth.

any ideas where to get replacement cables if needed?

I really dont think you'll need new cables. If you do, Myself and others have good used cables.
The binding usually comes from the doors and/or leaves and such inside the plenum. The cables are attached to plastic pins at the controller end so when door movement gets bad enough this is where a break occurs.
How to repair the broken plastic pins is here too.

-
Back