heater core

-
These type proceedures are detailed in factory service manuals. That manual is probably a free download here somewhere. Sorry I dont have a link to it. Hope this helps

You have to remove the heater hoses off of the core. Then the bolts around the blower ring. Then go inside the car and inside the left hand vent door is a rod with a hook on it. Usually they unscrew off the bottom of the housing. Don't forget to remove the very fragile vent hoses then pull it out. I'm sure I've left out something but that should get you thru the bulk of it.

You will need to disconnect control cables & electrical connections from box.

The Rod with the hook looks like a long inverted “J” that hangs from the fresh-air opening in cowl which passes through bottom of fresh-air chamber and held in place with a nut. Remove nut, slide rod up & turn 180 degrees to release it.

Be genital, that heater box can be brittle and will break... (Epoxy is your friend). While you have the box out of the car this may be a good time to clean it out and renew its guts with a heater rebuild kit from Detroit Muscle. http://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/ They also have that cardboard backer available if yours has seen better days.

Also this is a good time to dig all the crap out of the cowl. The driver’s side fresh-air vent is held in place by three bolts to the cowl. Just remove it to access the other side of cowl for cleaning.

Have fun.

Thanks guys! The defrost hoses are already falling apart and one missing but I went to Lowes yesterday and they have wet/dry vacuum hose that is the same id as the original hoses and it's $21 for 8 ft !

I think you'll find those aftermarket defroster hoses are the wrong diameter on at least one end. Good info here....all I can add is to remove the rectangle plate around the heater core pipes in the engine compartment to give you a little extra clearence and to take care pulling the heater suitcase away from the firewall so you don't accidentally damage the firewall insulation or break the back of the glove box insert. You may also want to remove the RH kick panel. If you have any removeable floor mats or carpet, take them out of the way for extra floor to dash clearence and lay an old towel down so anything leaking (usually rusty/nasty) from the old core doesn't stain your carpet. Also, take care removing the clips holding both halves of the housing together so you don't chip off the edges. A little lube helps on those.

-
Back