Heater delete & battery relocate gimmicks

-

396 Signet

Reaction score
Some gimmicks to regard or disregard at your pleasure-

Since I never drive my car in winter, decided to delete the heater. Good right side heater delete air vents are virtually unobtainable so wanted to see if a relatively common later A left side box would work & it did! Fabbed a mounting bracket using 3/4-in plywood as the later vent uses flange mounting rather than the long hooked bolts on original units. You can mount in any desired direction- I chose to split the air between driver & passenger.
Freshairvent_zps7c66d6d3.jpg

The V-8 throttle plate extends to the right to cover the slant 6 throttle hole in the firewall. I drilled a hole in the throttle plate to match. Fabbed a bulkhead connector using the Home Depot PVC fitting shown, some 3/8-in brass all-thread, & some high temp epoxy. This is a really nice location- very close to starter & out of the way under the dash.
Throttleplateampbulkhead_zpscfec8c40.jpg

Good ideas.
I'm also planning a battery relocate. I was planning to route under and up through the trunk.
I'm wondering what most people do, through the interior or under?

I'd put a master fuse at the battery, double insulate the positive lead (run it through a garden hose?), and run it through the interior of the car if I have the carpet out anyway. I'd also put in a 12v tap under the dash before running it to the engine compartment. The gauge of wire should be 2 AWG at minimum, or thicker (1 or aught gauge). Quality grommets of course anywhere it passes through metal. an insulated, anchored pad to secure the battery to would be nice. 'Haven't done it myself, though. Any thoughts from those who have done it? I like the idea of taking some weight out of the front of the engine compartment.

Arlie there's a matching cavity under both door sills, on the left of course is where the tail harness goes, the right side is empty.

Must run a ground wire also, for full power to starter. I had run old heavy arc welding cable to the transmission ear close to the starter. In the end, I went back to under hood mounting due to starter issues(slow crank).

Arlie there's a matching cavity under both door sills, on the left of course is where the tail harness goes, the right side is empty.

That makes sense. I like the brass stud in epoxy idea. I imagine that + terminal inside could be handy as well.

That makes sense. I like the brass stud in epoxy idea. I imagine that + terminal inside could be handy as well.

I`ve never had to run a direct ground on any I`ve done. how big of a wire, and where are you running it to ? I`ve done 3 cars w/o ever doing this, and have had no trouble w/ any of them. of course I maade sure the chassi ground was excellant on both ends.------------bob:coffee2:

I`ve never had to run a direct ground on any I`ve done. how big of a wire, and where are you running it to ? I`ve done 3 cars w/o ever doing this, and have had no trouble w/ any of them. of course I maade sure the chassi ground was excellant on both ends.------------bob:coffee2:
I used a shock mount stud in the trunk for the main battery ground. You also need to ground the block (starter)- I use the 3/8-in unused bolt hole that is in the middle of the block by the oil pan and attach it to the k-frame, it's virtually hidden. Attachment surfaces are critical, must be bare metal, free of paint, I also use special electrical grease to ensure no corrosion. Used #2AWG throughout, the cables do not even get warm with minutes of cranking & there is zero reduction in starting speed, works perfect. Note also the #2AWG fits nicely inside the right sill trim plate- just make absolutely sure it's fixed in position (I lightly attach it w/ non-hardening caulk) so you don't run a trim screw through it & burn your car down!
trunkbatteryground_zps82aa0002.jpg

I have not purchased anything yet. I've read the differing opinions on how to ground it. The method outlined by 396 suits me. Anyone know a good source for the cables? I do recall there was someone here who had bought a bunch in bulk.

I think shifting weight to the back is a great idea.

Nice work on the fresh air box. FYI, here's what the real deal looks like. -pauly

Attachments

• 0828131836a.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 237
I was just starting to research this topic when I stumbled on this thread and an ebay seller with what seems like fair prices to me. http://stores.ebay.com/TEMCo-Industrial-Power-Supply

I was thinkg about the 1 or 0 gauge.

Mike

I have not purchased anything yet. I've read the differing opinions on how to ground it. The method outlined by 396 suits me. Anyone know a good source for the cables? I do recall there was someone here who had bought a bunch in bulk.

I think shifting weight to the back is a great idea.

-
Back