Heater Fan not working

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
Ok so I got some new heaters hose and put then on and know the fan dose not work for ac/heater.I checked and all the fuses are good and I am getting power to the plugs the plug to the heater box inside the glove box.Whats wrong :dontknow: This is a 73 duster /6 ac/heat car.

Ps. The fan used to work

Run power DIRECTLY to the fan motor and verify that it does work. Report back with results.

Does the motor work when the switch is set on high? I'd be checking the blower motor resistor mounted on the top of the heater box, followed by the switch and wiring.

If this is an A/C car, the push button control as well as the actual fan switch are the most likely to be bad. A simple test light will help you trace the circuit from where you have power to where you don't. If you're getting power all the way to the resistor plug on the heater box, it's either the resistor assy itself or the wiring from there to the motor.

I'm about to just give up its one problem after another.

I am getting power to the wire on the side of the heater box
And no matter what setting its on it dose not work.

By "side of heater box" I assume you mean the resistor block? If so, you can use a test light and jumper wire to test it to see if all 3 resistors are working or if you have an open circuit. There should be several wires going in (from the fan switch) and only one coming out (to the motor).

By "side of heater box" I assume you mean the resistor block? If so, you can use a test light and jumper wire to test it to see if all 3 resistors are working or if you have an open circuit. There should be several wires going in (from the fan switch) and only one coming out (to the motor).

not sure what the plugs are called but you can see them through the glove box and they are getting power checked them with a test light.

72 and back fan switch moved left to right and did have an off position.
I'm going to guess your 73 has a fan switch the moves vertically. There is no off postion in that switch. It does select which resistor(s) the current passes through to create the various speeds.
To get the fan to go off is done with a disconnect in the switch which is operated by the upper sliding lever. That switch is both electrical and vacuum controlling. Most liely culprit too. There is quite a bit of current passing through those contatcts. You may find melted harness connectors there.
I have a good used switch if yours is factory a/c equiped. There is a bit of labor involved to R&R that switch. A new one will likely be a chinese repop but still, Who knows how long a used one will last.

-
Back