Heater Hose fittings

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
For years I have had problems with heater hose fittings on the water pump housings.
The forward fitting on a big block, blocks a water pump housing bolt, so it becomes a real problem when changing a timing chain or doing anything when the front on the engine needs to be dis-assembled.

one solution is to break it off and drill out the part stuck in the threads. If you try vise grips it often collapses it and will probably break it off anyway. sometimes you cant get vise grips on the fittings , if the engine is still in the car. There is no practical tool unless your into spending big dollars on specialty tools off the snap on truck :pale:

I have a simple solution .....maybe its been done before but with materials laying around the shop I found a way.

It does require a welding and 1/8 flat stock and a 3/4 nut with the threads drilled out smooth.

It all starts with a nut with the flat stock welded to the top then ground down so that it fits inside a socket. The portion of flat stock sticking up is an asset because it bottoms out in the socket and it helps to be able to put downward pressure as its turning.

I tried on an engine in the car without A/C and works like a champ.

The space between the notches varies so I am planning to make a set of nut sockets with varying thickness of flat stock to assure no fitting ever catches me by surprise. :)

Attachments

• CIMG5191.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 299
  • CIMG5205.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 318
  • CIMG5204.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 294
  • CIMG5203.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 256
  • CIMG5202.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 296
  • CIMG5201.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 294
  • CIMG5198.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 329
  • CIMG5197.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 288
  • CIMG5195.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 263
  • CIMG5194.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 301
that's a great idea. ive always just saved that bolt for last and worked it out with the pump housing at the same time and ran that one in first when installing.

Great idea Rani, and small enough to just leave in the toolbox until needed.

had some that were corroded and I had to file the notches square to get the tool to work.

Then I had one hose fitting that cracked and crumbled on the way off .....I guess there is not really a tool for corrosion LOL

Excellent!!! Someone on here was just looking for a "wrench" for those.

How about this? Wing from valve cover, nut from suspension.

Attachments

• Nut 1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 113
  • nut 2.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 108
-
Back