Heater hose to water pump connections

-

sargentrs

Reaction score
'74 Dart with 225 /6 and A904 tranny. I have 2 different size heater hoses at the firewall. Looks like the PO just cut them off at the water pump and ran a bypass hose. Going to need heat this winter so need to hook them back up. Which hose goes to which port on the water pump? Also, should there be a heater control valve in one of the hoses?

Attachments

• mms_img364916147.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 240
  • mms_img-2068477266.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 218
The small 1/2 inch hose goes to the upper fitting on the head. Bigger hose is 5/8 inch and goes by the radiator hose on the water pump. My 75 has a vac controlled valve to cut off water to the core. I have a 74 manual and they don't show it. Probably why your hoses are disconnected. Amazing that they got that 3/4 to seal...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 221
... Probably why your hoses are disconnected.

If I had to bet, I'd say that the heater core probably started leaking so the previous owner bypassed it. You'll find out after you hook the hoses back up. Good luck!

use a garden hose with low pressure to check the core for leaks before hooking up. I just replaced the heater core in my 73 with a core from AZ (made by Spectra) and it fit in the box with no problems.

Thanks guys! How about that vacuum control valve? Anybody know where it is and gets it's vacuum source?

If the car doesn't have a/c it never had a water control valve.

Again this is on a 75 - and it has AC

Attachments

• image.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 181
She has a/c or at least at one time. Has evap unit and I can see bulkhead fittings on the firewall but no compressor, brackets, condenser or drier that I can see. Thanks for the pic! Is that valve in the big hose or the small? And where does it get vacuum, full time or not? Thanks for all y'all help!

She has a/c or at least at one time. Has evap unit and I can see bulkhead fittings on the firewall but no compressor, brackets, condenser or drier that I can see. Thanks for the pic! Is that valve in the big hose or the small? And where does it get vacuum, full time or not? Thanks for all y'all help!

The vacuum for the valve would have to come from the control head inside. The A/C - Heater switch position would determine the vacuum for that.

I believe that there is a vacuum hose "harness" that plugs into the back of the heater controls in the dash that has about 5 hose connections.

Thanks krazykuda! I just cleaned out the trunk and found a bunch of emissions stuff and stray vacuum lines connected together so I might have that. I appreciate the help!

-
Back