Heath kits ,back?....

-
I got one that looks to be a tattered match for the 73 model you have shown. Came with a distributor or something I bought years ago. Can't even remember its been so long ago.
I have never tryed to use it on anything. Collecting dust on the shelf.
Do you have any experience using one to give us a compare to the Mopar boxes?
Always kinda wondered how well it would perform.

Attachments

• IMG_20140716_213645_597.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 390
I guess I should have worded my question differently. Did you like it as well or better than the Mopar boxes we have today?

These were a very early CDI. I don't think Heathkit had anything to do with them. "Delta" and "Tiger SST" are the two I remember. I had whatever the one was "in a round" box

It is alleged that in some cases, the spark is "too narrow" that is not enough duration in time to properly fire under some conditions. "The workaround" is the multispark, IE MSD

I did fight with mine and finally took it off. "Just like a photoflash" if the capacitor in there becomes less in capacitance, it won't generate enough pulse

I got one that looks to be a tattered match for the 73 model you have shown. Came with a distributor or something I bought years ago. Can't even remember its been so long ago.
I have never tryed to use it on anything. Collecting dust on the shelf.
Do you have any experience using one to give us a compare to the Mopar boxes?
Always kinda wondered how well it would perform.

My car pinged like hell,on 92 leaded without it. (1985 California ). With it,smooth as glass. You found a MSD,in the sense.

i put together 2-3 back then. i have 1-2 hidden in the archives. i had a delta mark ten on a 1957 dodge pick up 6 cyl flat head. my friend had a 383 race car. he had a pile of flouded plugs. i grabbed 6 and put them in my truck. set them at .060" gap. he sure had a strange look on his face when it started right up.

I have a CDI unit for throwing electric turnouts on a model railroad layout. It provides a very positive actuation, to say the least.

Sounds like they get a good review here, I might have to try it out.
I have had mixed results with the Mopar boxes myself and wouldnt
mind trying something else.
I have always been happy with them as far as how my engine runs.
It has been the durability of the boxes.
Some lasted me for years and still work and
others didn't work very long at all.
I even had one that didn't work right out of the package.
I have always gotten them from direct connection or Mopar performance
over the years. Wanted to feel like I was using a quality Mopar part better than the
parts store replacements for a high performance engine.
I did try a msd 6al years ago but honestly I felt my car ran better with the Mopar gold box.
I believe it was more the coils fault than the box why I wasn't happy. I had the accel race coil and feel it did me better than the blaster coil with 6al.
I have had people tell me my solid core plug wires is what takes out my Mopar boxes when one gives out earlier than I think it should. I have had them last along time with solid core wires in the past so I am not really convinced.
Is it bad to run solid core wires with the CD ignition boxes?
Anyone else feel the Mopar boxes don't last like they used to?
Maybe its just luck of the draw?

I thought a heathkit was an electronic project that you put together in electronics class.

My dad had an old voltmeter kit and it came in pieces and he showed me how to solder and put it together and it works great.

I thought a heathkit was an electronic project that you put together in electronics class.

My dad had an old voltmeter kit and it came in pieces and he showed me how to solder and put it together and it works great.

Yup. They came out in the early 50's I guess, Heath made all kids of stuff in kits, including a color TV "back then."

This was an AM / FM receiver I used to have called an AR-15. In their day they were a real powerhouse. I don't remember........40-50 watts output I think?

Heathkit made all sorts of Amateur radio gear, and I've had all of this stuff at one time or another......

As well as basic test equipment.

I just last week bought a nice old pair, called an "Apache" (AM transmitter) and "Mohawk" amateur band receiver. These are not mine, but like it

They are about 20" wide, and the transmitter weighs nearly a hundred pounds

HOW TO KNOW when you have to much crap. NO!!! This is not my basement!!!

http://www.landaircom.com/newfiles/028.jpg

Something I lusted after "back then" and there must have been darned few of them was a "Chippewa" linear amplifier. Huge, heavy, and "in it's day" the maximum legal output on the amateur bands---------a pair of Eimac 4-400 tubes

http://hamoperatorforums.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=9.0;attach=16;image

http://hamoperatorforums.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=9.0;attach=22;image

Using your imagination "subtracting" the computer / flat panel TV, and a couple of pieces of other "too modern" gear, this would have been one VERY nice late 50s / early 60's "station."

Some people don't like "Heathkit green" but I always did.

a good CDI ignition has a VERY fast voltage rise time. and the high voltage spark across the plug jumps very fast, and doesnt have time bleed to ground, throu carbon fouling.

Heath Kit, eh? I used to enjoy messing with them when I was young. My first kit was 5 what amp, that ran on AC and DC. It even came with 4 "D" cell batteries that you actually had to build. Case, electrode, and a bag of carbon.

They had a pretty large assortment of hobby kits.

I built a 13 in black and white Heathkit TV when I was 13yrs old. Dad built a 25in color model.

I ran one of those Mark Ten B's on my dune buggy (it was a very old unit when I did so). They are still points triggered, so not really much gain. Ended up converting the db to Toyota electronic ignition. Since I'd made a mount for the Mark Ten B box I gutted the case and hid the Toyota IGN module ("Ignitor" in yota-speak) inside. Best ignition mod I ever made.

.......... Mark Ten B..............They are still points triggered, so not really much gain. ............

At the time, lots of stuff was still points. Mopar had not come out with their breakerless yet, and GM was still an option, and not yet HEI. Ford didn't know WTF breakerless even was, LOL

One "big gain" was points life. You could stuff a set of good quality Echlin points in there and run them a couple of years. As long as they didn't bounce, dwell was no longer of much importance.

However a friend of mine, now gone, learned one important lesson. He made a big production, LOL of removing the condenser from the distributor. 'Won't be needing THAT!!' he proclaimed.

That was OK until the box quit one time, and he needed to "flip the switch" back to conventional........and had to re-install the cap, LOL

Points life was great, but the rubbing block still wore and points gap was semi-important. Not as much as w/o, but the box would misbehave if the gap got too small.

I had one of those.got it out of a pick n pull many years ago.it ead on a points fired 318it worked pretty good.for a while.then it startef making a loud whistle.had a button on the side to turn it on...

I just bought a Mark Ten B CD box for $10. Gonna put it on my 83 Mazda B2000 for grins.

-
Back