Hedman headers

-

67mopr

Reaction score
I need some help here. I am ready to buy headers for my 67 Barracuda, The engine is a 408 stroker LA block. My engine builder told me to use Hooker STREET headers, not comp just regular street headers. Or Headmans.. I am looking for a ceramic coated header with 1 7/8 tubes and 3 in flange I have been told buy several people that hedmans are a very good header the seem alot cheaper than hookers. This is for a street car with around 500 HP, I would appreaciate any input on finding this size. I have looked in jegs and Summit.

If it were mine, I would go with a set of TTI headers. I know the cost is higher than the Hooker & Hedman, but you already spent this much your 408.
Second choice, if your not runnining p/steering, would be the Hooker 1 3/4 headers.
This is a nice header.
The street headers in most header brands have some tubes that hang too low & always gets damaged. It's a piss poor design.
You will not have this concern with the TTI's or Hooker 1 3/4 tubes.

I talked to Mancini racing TTI's with the 1 7/8 tube were $870.00.. If I went with that size with Hookers I would have to go with super comp.. I do like the TTi though but damn.. LOL

IMO, 1 7/8 headers are unnecessary and will likely cost performance on this type of build.

Look at the Car Craft build Brian did and the changes in headers. There wasn't much difference, but the smaller step tube did better than the larger tubes.

If you want the big tube look then find what you like. As Tony mentioned tti fit better, hedmans work better, but, require cutting the inner fenders for 1 tube on each side.

yeah..for a street car...i would do the TTi ...yes..they are expensive...but you spend good money on that engine already

You want headers that fit Dougs or tti. Want to spend money that you don't have too.. buy tti. :)

None will make a big difference.

If you have something with other than the std port location, you are limited on choices.

You want headers that fit Dougs or tti. Want to spend money that you don't have too.. buy tti. :)

None will make a big difference.

If you have something with other than the std port location, you are limited on choices.

Yep. It is to bad I got my TTI's before I found this site. Could of saved some money and went with Dougs. All well they are both nice headers either way you go. The Mags rely pissed me off on that one. Just because Dougs don't advertise in there mag they say nothing about them.

Doug's or tti's, I'd go with tti's after speaking with several owners of Dougs headers.

While the cost is outrageous, you also get what you pay for and it will be minus the headaches of the normal headers 3 tubes hanging low and becoming dented/scraping the floor.

I disagree with the above statement that a bigger tube header will not make a difference. At this HP level, it will. Though 1-7/8 is a bit far to go. 1-3/4 is plenty.

Doug's or tti's, I'd go with tti's after speaking with several owners of Dougs headers.

While the cost is outrageous, you also get what you pay for and it will be minus the headaches of the normal headers 3 tubes hanging low and becoming dented/scraping the floor.

I disagree with the above statement that a bigger tube header will not make a difference. At this HP level, it will. Though 1-7/8 is a bit far to go. 1-3/4 is plenty.
Thats a good point Rumble. Indy has the 1 7/8 for 770.00 and 1 3/4 for 713.00. Knowing my luck I would dent the hookers quicker than crap. I can almost feel it and I'm running 14 in tires so it's sits low anyway.

Just got my summit coated headers, They are patriot could not be happier once you factor in price $329.00. Thanks Kevin.

I have hedman 1 5/8" headers three tubes on the drivers side wrap under the center link but in 45k miles they have never touched anything on the street. I slow down for speed bumps and drive around pot holes but I do that anyway so its no issue.

The hedmans tuck up well and fit with no issues, I have seen brand x cars with headers that don't wrap under the center link that hang lower. The only thing I would like to see them improve is a thicker manifold flange and every other manufacturer should take not of the ball socket collector connection.

. The only thing I would like to see them improve is a thicker manifold flange and every other manufacturer should take not of the ball socket collector connection.

i agree on this thicker flanges and the ball joint would make life alot better if more people started using it, preferably with a formed 2bolt floating flange at the collector and exhaust pipe its a much better design..

the 2bolt flange can be found in 3" under late 80´s camaros and firebirds..

the balljoint is often refered to as a buick ball joint or male ball when working with exhaust

CHECK OUT DYNOMAX HEADERS . I GOT 1 7/8 CERAMIC COATED HEADERS
FOR UNDER 400.00 GOOD FIT NO LEAKS GOOD POWER AND SOUND
CHECKEM OUT :mumum:
GOOD LUCK

I put TTI headers on my 67 cuda (LA engine) and was amazed at the fit. I deliberated over the idea of putting headers on the car since I have had nothing but trouble in the past . I would suggest that the TTI's are definately worth the money and I bought mine when the Can/USD exchange rate was 1.36 . So this cost me nearly a thousand dollars @ the time. fit finish quality of the welds are great in my opinion. Freind has Hedmans and they clunk and clang @ idle hitting steering box ,torsion bars, etc.

CHECK OUT DYNOMAX HEADERS . I GOT 1 7/8 CERAMIC COATED HEADERS
FOR UNDER 400.00 GOOD FIT NO LEAKS GOOD POWER AND SOUND
CHECKEM OUT :mumum:
GOOD LUCK

sure they are 1 7/8" ? i cant seem to find them anywhere, i can only find there 1 5/8"

I just installed the TTI 1.7/8 ceramic coated headers on my 408 stroker that i have in my 67 Barracuda. They are a easy install if you follow the instructions and they look great but sound even better!!!

-
Back