Hedman Tight Tubes

-

Mcfarlrm

Reaction score
My current Hedman Tight Tubes are failing. Not too sure how old they are and previous owner is thinking 10ish years but not sure. Left one was cracked bad and a weld job temporarily fixed the issue but the leak is back. Right one is starting to go too. Do these hold up for the most past for a good number of years or are they thrash, which should be avoided? Looks like they do have a ceramic coated option, which may be a bit more durable (part 78503). They do not make them in stainless, which is unfortunate. Basically I want to stick with these if they are dependable so it's an easy plug and play scenario.

10 years is a long time for a set of uncoated headers. If you are happy with them, I would get the same header with ceramic coating.

I think 10 years was an exaggeration for mild steel. Just wanted to see if anyone out here says to avoid them.

Mine are over 10 years old and painted by me with spray header paint when I have them off if I have time. I race a lot and honestly I think that helps. I never start my car unless it’s going through a total warmup and my car stays in a heated shop.

Mine are over 10 years old and painted by me with spray header paint when I have them off if I have time. I race a lot and honestly I think that helps. I never start my car unless it’s going through a total warmup and my car stays in a heated shop

This^^^^^is good policy. If you just start the engine and don’t get it fully warm you not only get the headers sweaty you get the oil dirty way faster than you would with a full warm up.

Does the coolant need to be drained when replacing the headers on a LA360? I know that the bolt holes at the four corners go into a water jacket. Don't want a huge mess on my hands.

Does the coolant need to be drained when replacing the headers on a LA360? I know that the bolt holes at the four corners go into a water jacket. Don't want a huge mess on my hands.

If you have studs in the end bolt holes then no, you can leave the coolant in there.

If you have bolts there you need to drain the coolant.

Fun fact: I’ve never seen a header for a small block that will take studs in those end bolt holes.

-
Back