Hefe Weizen

-

chryslerfat

Reaction score
One of my co workers says he drank it in Germany when he served in the military in the 80`s. He tells me I need to find a place that sells it claiming it is a good beer. Any one here experience it and what does it taste like? Any good?

Hefe is a wheat beer, cloudy in color and very filling. I too was stationed in Germany, Jack Daniels and I hung out together often, not a fan of Hefe. Blue Moon is a very popular Hefe here in the states, most any place has it too.

yep can be a very tasty wheat beer, blue moon is crap IMO but when you don't live on the west coast like I do it gets a might harder to find good beer. I love the micro breweries that are everywhere here.

Like any variety of beer, it _can be_ a great one. It's a german wheat ale. It's sometimes served with a slice of citrus (usually orange) but is good either way. It is usually bottle-conditioned so there's yeast sediment in the bottom which gives a unique flavor. The beer itself is light and crisp with a moderate head and sometimes brewed with coriander for just a little bit of an interesting, subtle flavor. It's one of those beers that is especially good on a hot summer day.

Personally I really like a lot of Hefe Weizens. Hacker Pschorr is a very nice example that you can usually find in stores. Chill, serve in a tall glass with a thin slice of orange and be sure to pour so you get the sediment off the bottom mixed into the glass. :D

Mmmm... Making me thirsty just talking about it. :drinkers:

edf0989288f.jpg

So it sounds like I need to get some. I was telling him about trying different beers and he mentioned this. He agreed when we were kids we drank to get drunk now we drink for flavor.

Anybody brew their own? I got into it a couple years ago and been doing it ever since. It's pretty rewarding to taste it after a long wait. Not too expensive of a hobby to get into either.

I've been wanting to brew some dark ales for a while now, just "haven't gotten around to it".

I to was in Germany on a short tour and drank quite a few diffrent beers and Hefe Weizen has to be one of my favorite but never seen it served with fruit slices

One of my co workers says he drank it in Germany when he served in the military in the 80`s. He tells me I need to find a place that sells it claiming it is a good beer. Any one here experience it and what does it taste like? Any good?

Dude........... wheat beer is delicious ! If your going to spend the money you should try this............ In bottles its great, from a clean, cold draft system its to good to describe. Stop over to my pub in Pittsburgh and give it a try!! LOL

Hacker-Pschorr Hefe Weisse Natürtrub

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/76/772

I used to homebrew a bunch. I have a friend who was a beer judge and a professional brewer who ran several breweries in Michigan. He was runner up in the sam adams homebrew competition before he went pro. He's the one who taught me to brew and he was very proud of my Hefe Weizen. I took that as a huge huge compliment. Mmm... It's been so long since I've homebrewed. I miss coming home after a long day at work and having 3 different kegs of homebrew in the basement fridge. I really need to get back into that.

stuttgarter hofbrau hefeweitzen! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!! in my dreams i still rememberit well!!!!!

state side paulaneer makes a nice Hefe weisse beer, I'll have to try the HS brand it sounds good.
That was our drink of choice before the evening pub meal in Heidelberg back in the early 80's
Lawrence

Dude........... wheat beer is delicious ! If your going to spend the money you should try this............ In bottles its great, from a clean, cold draft system its to good to describe. Stop over to my pub in Pittsburgh and give it a try!! LOL

Hacker-Pschorr Hefe Weisse Natürtrub

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/76/772

Where is your pub located in Pittsburgh?

Hacker-Pschorr and Paulaner make hiefe and they are both excellent brews. although heavy, they are not dark. It's kinda like a food and makes a great lunch beer with a sandwich on the weekend. it's stronger than you might think too. The key is to rool the beer on your leg to get the sediment in suspension. Great stuff!

The pic above reminds me of what my brother said when he called home from Germany ( many years ago ).
"Must be a 100 or more micro-breweries over here. Impossible to sample them all. Lots of dark ale. Not always served cold either.
Draft is served in 1 liter glass mugs. The thing weighs over a pound empty. The waitress will come to the table with 3 in each hand. Needless to say you don't want to arm wrestle with her." LOL

When I went to Germany, they told me the first words you had to learn was, "Zwei bier bitte" that way you were ordering a beer for the person you were with also. Drank a bunch and also the wine. 1/2 litre of beer was a quarter in the day room and wine was $1.50 a bottle.

With a thumb up instead of your index or else you get two... Thought it was strange to get two drinks every time I ordered one with my index finger.

So...let me get this straight. Thumb = 1 beer, index = 2 beers?
Does that mean if you flip off the bartender you're going to get 3 beers?
LOL

-
Back