HEI Conversion questions

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of converting my 360 from the orange box to one of the HEI conversion kits on flea bay. I wanted to know if it would be worth it, or just leave what I already have.They claim larger plug gaps, more power and better milage, easier starts etc... where my main goal is milage. There are two types a large cap and the smaller one with the remote coil. What are your thoughts and suggestions?

Why not just go to an electronic dizzy and a after market box like msd or even the summit box.i have run both msd and now running the summit box.as for dollar value and ease of tuning and set up i'm very happy with summit box.Just my 2 cents

Why not just go to an electronic dizzy and a after market box like msd or even the summit box.i have run both msd and now running the summit box.as for dollar value and ease of tuning and set up i'm very happy with summit box.Just my 2 cents

I too have the MP elect dizzy and summit spark box with good results although I had to put a mopar performance sticker on the summit box because their summit logo looks like a three musketeers bar wrapper.

I'd like to go with the MSD Atomic fuel injection carb deal which would eliminate most of the problems you listed which most carbureted engines suffer from.

My buddy has one and will be installing it soon and I'm sure he will post the results complete with pics and dyno video once he gets it installed since he is a member here.

I've had all of them from MP and the HEI on there now with its coil cap cleaned up the engine compartment beautifully, the performance is trouble-free, the plugs are clean and gaped at 050
I am happy that the engine compartment is cleaner, less wires and less thngs to worry about

If what you have works, why change it ?
Could be opening up a can of worms.

I went with the MSD 8388 ready to run distributor

literally connect 3 wires and your done.....no boxes, ballast resistors or BS

A little pricy but I love it....nice and clean without all the wire clutter.... here is a link

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8388/

Have heard good things about that dist. Think most people that go hei is because of ease of getting parts if something decides to take a **** a few hours from home. Hei modules are cheap and easy to find

If your Mopar system is working fine, why worry?

Having said that, I run and HEI. The ability to get replacement parts LOCALLY is a big plus for me, which is why I don't run stuff like Pertronix

they are great conversions, alot of people have troubles with the factory style mopar ignition, i use the small hei from pro comp, not the ugly chevy cap style haha. just pick up a .5 ohm coil for a magnum 3.9/5.2/ or 5.9 and youre set. looks super clean ;) good luck!

Yes, what I have works good. A re-curved factory distributor, orange box and a stock coil. I just think that I can get better performance and economy with an HEI Ignition. Not sure if I can improve what is there now to give me more spark energy. I do like the conversion plate for the bottom of the dist to use the hei module. I would need to get a better coil than the stock coil I currently use.

here are a few pics installed of my MSD 8388

msddistributor004.jpg

msddistributor001.jpg

[/http://designed2drive.com]
I bought the HEI module adaptor and I was wondering about a module and coil now. Should I get a BWD from the parts store, or a flame thrower module, or Accel from Summit. As the coil goes, I was thinking of a Mallory E-coil, or should I do a MSD blaster 2. Sorry for all the questions, I just want to buy the right stuff once and not waste more money on parts I won't use.
Thanks!

stole this from ss.org

Coil selection

Your stock coil might work OK for awhile, but really isn't a good choice. At the very least, replace it with a coil meant for use with electronic ignition. Such a coil would be a Standard-BlueStreak #UC16 or NAPA Echlin #IC27. It's best, though, to use a coil intended for use with a high energy ignition system. If you'd like to mount the module off by itself somewhere, then a good coil option is the stock external-mount E-core coil used with Ford and Mazda high-power electronic ignition systsems. The premium version is Standard BlueStreak #FD-478X:

FD478X_Coil.jpg

You can save eight whole dollars by specifying the ordinary FD-478 (or NAPA Echlin IC-24) instead of the premium FD-478X, or you can save a whackload of cash by specifying the cheap Chinese FD-478T or NAPA Echlin IC-24SB (not recommended). If you're going yard-hopping, you'll find this coil in '82-'97 Ford cars and trucks, '84-'94 Lincolns, '82-'95 Mercury and '85-'89 Merkur models, as well as '94-'97 Mazdas. You can grab the connectors and a few inches of primary wire, as well, or if you'd like to have a new connector with wire, use Standard #S-539:

S539_Socket.jpg

Another workable coil is the GM HEI coil used on '75-'84 GM cars mostly with 4-cylinder engines, Standard #DR-35 (no premium "X" version available) or NAPA Echlin DR-35.

Combination coil/module/heatsink/bracket

A tidy option is to use the combination HEI coil/module/mounting bracket originally found in just about all gasoline-fired GM pickups and RWD SUVs from '96 to at least '00. It includes a nice sturdy mounting bracket, heat sink for the module, E-core ignition coil…all in one:

HEI_coil_2.jpg

Wherever you are, you can probably pull these out of wrecking yards all day long for very little money, and you can just grab the watertight connectors for the coil while you're there. This way you take advantage of GM's own work. The newer style module included with this setup (and shown in the photos above) won't work with the Mopar distributor; it's looking for a 0-5 volt square wave, and that's not the kind of signal the Mopar distributor puts out. You can use the early type (4-pin) module—part numbers specified above in the discussion of module selection—on the newer heat sink bracket with minor mods to the heat sink. Then just bolt the combination module/coil/heat sink unit to the inner fender:

HEI_IC22_Bracket.jpg

HEI_Coil_Module_Connections.jpg

If you use this combination coil/module assembly, the original coil has three terminal pins:

A is the coil's primary (+) terminal; gets ignition-on 12v and is connected to module pin "A".

B is a tachometer signal output. Not used if you don't have a tach.

C is the coil's primary (-) terminal, goes to module pin "D"

The only other "gotchya" is that many of these E-core coils have a male (spark plug type) output terminal rather than the female type on our original coils, so you'd need to get an appropriate coil-to-distributor-cap cable such as NAPA Belden #701050, which is a Ford item, or the equivalent from Magnecor or your favoured spark plug wire supplier.

COOL. I'd like to see more of the MSD ready to run units installed...didn't Steve AutoXcuda have some issues with it??

I built mine all from junkyard parts and cost me a total of $25 including the SPST relay. I set mine up just like slantsixdan and am very happy with it and noticed a hugh difference on my /6 and plain to use it on the 360 also.

COOL. I'd like to see more of the MSD ready to run units installed...didn't Steve AutoXcuda have some issues with it??

I think he has the e-curve 8504 and had clearance issues with the wiper motor in A-body....I think the e-curves are 1 inch taller than standard billet 8534 distributor...not sure how the height of my 8388 compares....mine is not in A-body so I have no issues there....

I finished the conversion today and I used the designedtodrive kit, Summit e-coil, and a BWD HEI module. Noticed a big difference in the way it idles, drives, power etc right off the bat. I opened my plug gaps to .050 and I might need to put a larger jet in the carb depending on how it does on my drive to work on the highway.
I will honestly say that I was skeptical on doing the GM conversion, but my initial impression on how it runs over the orange box ignition is much better.
Thanks once again for the advice and suggestions!

Nice. I have all the stuff to change over to hei. Too lazy to install it.lol. running the Chrysler electronic ign now and its been flawless which is probably why I haven't gotten around to putting the hei in. Maybe once the weather breaks ill do it.

Nice. I have all the stuff to change over to hei. Too lazy to install it.lol. running the Chrysler electronic ign now and its been flawless which is probably why I haven't gotten around to putting the hei in. Maybe once the weather breaks ill do it.

That's what most do Joe.
Once you finally change you'll never look back.

Most of mine are HEI using the std chrysler electronic dizzy and Bosch BIM024 module.

I've got them on a 2000 Ram with blown and injected 360 magnum.
1970 440 challenger.
1960 413 imperial
1972 Dart Swinger 318
1967 Valiant ute slant6.

I've got full MSD in my 440 barracuda but it races regularly and the limiter is handy:D

Hmm I think the designed to drive kit is merely a mounting bracket for the HEI module? BWD is Borg Warner.

-
Back