HEI Electronic Ignition upgrade question

-

2kids

Reaction score
So admittedly I'm a newb when it comes to mechanical stuff.....

I spent a good amount of time reading (over and over) the HEI Electronic Ignition upgrade info on .org. I finally start to understand it and start getting ready to get the parts.

Then I decide to go see what my current set up even is (car is not currently running since it has a blown head gasket right now) and I've never actually had the car running all that well except for a few minutes when I first got the car.

Much to my surprise I think I may already have electronic ignition but a different module. Can anyone help guide me on this?

This is the module I have - I just copied a link from ebay for the exact same one instead of uploading a photo:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-NOS-1...ies&vxp=mtr&hash=item2eba515733#ht_500wt_1282

My questions:
1. Should I still go with the HEI upgrade?

2. If I have this module would it mean that my distributor is already an electronic distributor (I'm pretty sure it is)

Thanks,
2kids

stock chrysler electronic ignition is good, HEI is better. get your car running first. dont throw more at it till you get the head gasket fixed, adjust the valves, put a good tune up on it, THEN put uprades on it:thumbrig:

If you have a properly working Mopar system, there's no reason to yank it out.

CHECK that you have proper voltage to the system. Many of these guys/ cars are having electircla problems, specifically with wire connectors, and the large feed through "bulkhead connector"

A quick check:

Turn the key on to "run" with engine off Take your meter and measure the voltage drop from the battery, through the harness and back to the ignition. Hook one probe to the battery positive post. Hook the other probe down to the blue field wire (there are two, a blue, and a green) at the alternator.

You are wanting to see a low reading, hopefully NOT over .2V (two tenths) of a volt. If it is as much as 1/2 volt, get busy and find out why you have that much drop.

Your number one suspects are the bulkhead connector, the connector at the ignition switch, and the switch itself.

(My old 67 had ONE volt drop before rewiring. This also causes overcharging when running)

-
Back