heli-coil

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Just got my used alun intake for the Dart and found that one bolt for the themostat is strip I can tighten it up but the bolt goes down far and only about 4 threads holding it tight,is that ok.the intake is off should I take it to a machine shop to have them install a heli-coil.or can I do that when the intake is on the motor,o ya I have never installed a heli-coil befor any tips thanks.PS GO Tony Go.

I have never heli coiled a intake Snake but have done alot of other things. If you can hold a drill straight you should have no problem.

That is the key to a heli coil job. Drill and tap straight. I just got a intake with 2 heli coiled carb holes. While the work done on them is fine enuff, the angle is slightly off on one hole. It's not a problem, you just can not tighten the carb stud down until the carb is on. The slight tilt is very very minimal and getting the gasket and carb on require the stud to be a 1/2 turn loose.

Once on, the final 1/2 turn isn't needed since 99% of the threads are engauged.

i do tool and die work for a living,heli coils suck ***! use a thread insert if you can/have the room. they have to be tapped out alot bigger,but are alot more positive. i avoid them at all cost!

If you are able to tighten what you have even with 4 threads it is okay to leave as is. If you are not confident with that many threads then install a heli coil yourself, in aluminum it will be a piece of cake, you already have a guide hole there to keep it straight. No need to give someone else the money when you can repair yourself for $25 <price of heli coil set.

Have them try this first, have them use a bottoming tap and go right to the bottom of the hole with thread. If you end up with 6 or more good threads have them install a length of all thread (grade 8 threaded rod) and give them the rad hose neck. Have them cut the length figureing in neck flange width, gasket, nut, flat washer, lockwasher and 2 threads showing above the nut when tight. This shouldn't take them more than 15 minutes. All most forgot, use high strength Lok Tite on the stud threads that go into the manifold. If you have them install an insert (much prefered over Helicoil) you're looking at atleast 1 hour shop rate for setup, drilling, cleaning and installation.

Terry

Thats what they were designed for. Aluminum parts in the aircraft industry didn't hold threads very long so they developed heli coils. They work great but don't forget to snap off the tang with pliers after its installed.

I agree with the thread insert vs. hel-coil. If you can find someone with a Time-Sert brand kit that would be the way to go. They are far superior to Heli-Coil. Not everyone has these however as the kits are pretty pricey.

I've retapped next size larger, usually in metric, on holes like that.
Works pretty well and you dont have to mess with a helicoil etc.

Well guys got back today 25 bucks and very happy now.For once something done at a good price on this Dart and a good job.

-
Back