Hello from NJ w/72 Scamp

-
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm from NJ and will soon be the proud owner of this '72 Scamp. It is my wife's grandma's and she doesn't drive anymore so she is bequething it to us. I never considered myself a historic owner, but the price was right. Then searching around this site and googling images, I am slowly beginning to love these A-bodies.

I was originally planning on just driving this thing, but the more I look it may very well turn into a long term project car. We'll see. I was always a Jeep man ready to sling mud and whine my MTs on the hiway, so being close to terra firma is new to me.

Anyway, here's a few snapshots of the car. The battery is dead but tomorrow my pops and I are going to get her started. Here's looking to learn from ya'll. Sorry about the weird color, the wife was getting artsy on the iPhone and I didn't realize it. Thanks, Rich.

Attachments

• Scamp-1.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 138
  • Scamp-2.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 142
Welcome to the site. Tell us what kind of power does it have??

Looks like a good start.

Oh, and BTW you can still whine some MT's on the highway, just in a different manner after a few modifications. :D

Welcome Rich! I love the 71/72 Scamp's. Keep us informed, and I hope you try to save it, even if it's not something you're really into...

Welcome, looks like a cool car. Does it have a /6 or a 318? Front discs? What options?

slant six, i believe the 255 (does that sound right?). 4 wheel drum, auto trans, and thats pretty much it. And electronic ignition.

i already have so many questions, but once i get it started i'll be asking more.

slant six, i believe the 255 (does that sound right?). 4 wheel drum, auto trans, and thats pretty much it. And electronic ignition.

i already have so many questions, but once i get it started i'll be asking more.

Close, 225.

I've got a '73 Scamp parts car, so if you come across anything you need, let me know.

sorry a little dislexic, haha. and thanks, dartmike, i'm sure i'll hit you up.

so my dad and i got it running. runs pretty friggin well, no noises or rapping. once fuel got to the carb she ran great. idles smooth, shifts smooth, hell the car runs better than my jeep, lol.

and i was mistaken, ignition has points and condensers. not worried about that though. now just need to register it, plate it, clean it, and fill it up. this time next week i should be on the road with her.

oh, do i need any additive to run unleaded in her, my dad didn't think so but he said i should ask, neither of us were sure.

And welcome from Texas, from yet another '72 Scamp owner. Fun cars for sure!

-
Back