Hellwig Front Sway Bar- End Link Spacer Length

-

madhatta360

1973 Duster 340 H-code TX9
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone running the Hellwig front sway bar 1 1/8" wouldn't happen to be able to provide me the length of the spacer used in the kit? Was shorted some hardware in my kit and want to run up to the hardware store today, thanks!

I can get some info at lunch. I have one I haven’t installed it yet so it will simple to do.

I measure the spacer length as 2.75”.

IMG_0045.jpeg

Hmm…I should add that this is for a ‘73-76 style front sway bar. I suspect that the earlier bar uses a different length spacer. Sorry, didn’t think of that until just now.

You will need one that positions the bar parallel with the surface of the road. So, I had to cut mine to a 1.5" spacer. and used grade 8 bolts and nylock nuts.

I had to cut the spacer that came with mine into very short pieces to get the proper angle on the sway bar. 73+ style, but I have QA1 control arms, very similar mounting location, but it is a little different.

20220501_141336.jpg

20220902_192517.jpg

I had to cut the spacer that came with mine into very short pieces to get the proper angle on the sway bar. 73+ style, but I have QA1 control arms, very similar mounting location, but it is a little different.

View attachment 1716221516

View attachment 1716221517

Same here....., I used a nylock and also trimmed the bolt so only a few threads were showing. your setup is just like mine, spool mount with QA1

Same here....., I used a nylock and also trimmed the bolt so only a few threads were showing. your setup is just like mine, spool mount with QA1

I could probably trim my bolts a little too, there is a lot of thread sticking out. Easy modification to do, trimming the spacers, just surprised I had to do it.

I installed my sway bar on my 73’ the bolt is def super long I ran mine with the bolt head on the bottom side and nut on the top, thought about trimming some excess threads.

Luckily I didn’t have to cut spacers, spool mount factory k frame, qa1 UCA’s and bilsteins all 4 corners. Car is awesome in corners now I love it.

I could probably trim my bolts a little too, there is a lot of thread sticking out. Easy modification to do, trimming the spacers, just surprised I had to do it.

I run the Hellwig on my ‘74 Duster. When I was running the stock ‘73+ tabbed LCA’s I ran the Hellwig provided links at the supplied length, no issues.

When I went to the QA1 LCA’s I had to shorten the end links. This is just because of the lower height profile of the QA1 LCA’s, that sway bar tab is not in the same place in the vertical plane as the factory LCA’s.

Of course QA1 will straight tell you that their LCA’s only fit with their sway bar, which isn’t right at all. It just requires modifying the end link length.

I installed my sway bar on my 73’ the bolt is def super long I ran mine with the bolt head on the bottom side and nut on the top, thought about trimming some excess threads.

Luckily I didn’t have to cut spacers, spool mount factory k frame, qa1 UCA’s and bilsteins all 4 corners. Car is awesome in corners now I love it.

Cool, the issue really comes into play when you have the QA1 lower control arms. Hellwig was no help once I told them I had aftermarket lowers and QA1 officially was no help, but when I saw their reps at the good guys car show, they helped me off the record.. LOL

Cool, the issue really comes into play when you have the QA1 lower control arms. Hellwig was no help once I told them I had aftermarket lowers and QA1 officially was no help, but when I saw their reps at the good guys car show, they helped me off the record.. LOL
That’s good to know because I’m probably going with QA1 lowers this winter and 1.03 torsion bars so I might be spacer chopping haha

I run the Hellwig on my ‘74 Duster. When I was running the stock ‘73+ tabbed LCA’s I ran the Hellwig provided links at the supplied length, no issues.

When I went to the QA1 LCA’s I had to shorten the end links. This is just because of the lower height profile of the QA1 LCA’s, that sway bar tab is not in the same place in the vertical plane as the factory LCA’s.

Of course QA1 will straight tell you that their LCA’s only fit with their sway bar, which isn’t right at all. It just requires modifying the end link length.
So basically I’ll call QA1 and be like “I was shorted spacers in your kit, can you tell me the length you use for your sway bar”? Haha

So basically I’ll call QA1 and be like “I was shorted spacers in your kit, can you tell me the length you use for your sway bar”? Haha
Just use one that will make your swaybar parallel to the pavement.

Correct. The Hellwig end link length is correct for the factory LCA tabs. I should have trimmed the end of the bolt but other than that this length worked (its at full extension in the picture, so, not parallel to the ground like it was at ride height)

img_4373-jpg.jpg

With the QA1 LCA's the tab location is just lower, so you need the shorter end link. (picture at full extension again)

img_4412-jpg.jpg

Yeah that won't work. The QA1 sway bar is for their K frame, and mounts differently than the sway bar does with a 73+ K frame. You'll need to set the length so the sway bar is parallel to the ground on your car at ride height.

And for that matter, modifying the end link length is something you have to consider with EVERY sway bar, just because the supplied end link is a certain length doesn't mean that it's the right length for your car and your ride height. If you've modified your suspension or lowered your ride height vs stock, the end link length may have to change.

Last edited:
Correct. The Hellwig end link length is correct for the factory LCA tabs. I should have trimmed the end of the bolt but other than that this length worked (its at full extension in the picture, so, not parallel to the ground like it was at ride height)

View attachment 1716221594

With the QA1 LCA's the tab location is just lower, so you need the shorter end link. (picture at full extension again)

View attachment 1716221595

Yeah that won't work. The QA1 sway bar is for their K frame, and mounts differently than the sway bar does with a 73+ K frame. You'll need to set the length so the sway bar is parallel to the ground on your car at ride height.

And for that matter, modifying the end link length is something you have to consider with EVERY sway bar, just because the supplied end link is a certain length doesn't mean that it's the right length for your car and your ride height. If you've modified your suspension or lowered your ride height vs stock, the end link length may have to change.
Makes sense especially with ride height

-
Back