help 1969 dodge dart 340 swinger

-
Is the trans tunnel floor hump for the 4 speed in the car?

no but i have it in with the rest of the parts in the garage ill take pic of everything parts wise and it washed up soon

cant wate to see the thing all cleaned up just remember man it mite not be 200,000 bucks but its still going to be fun keep us posted

automatic column,no 4 speed trans floor hump,automatic pedal assembly........and they swapped in a different rear end, and a spooled k member........kindda sounds like the car was slapped together with parts from multiple cars. is it possibly its not an original 4 speed car? fender tag from a different car?

regardless of originality it looks like a solid car!

you could restore it and drive it or try selling it for $10k or so give or take.

someone mentioned it has (judging by the ID numbers) an 8 1/4 rear end. which is not the dana 60.

so odds are it came factory with an 8 3/4 and someone swapped it into another car and put the 8 1/4 into your car. try jacking it up and spinning a tire to see if its a peg leg or a posi. also mark the drive shaft and mark a tire at 12 o'clock position and rotate it one full rev and see how many times the driveshaft spins and come up with the ratio so you can see what gearing it has in it.

here is a chart that will help you identify your rear end.

Attachments

• moparaxleguide.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 373
can you explain please

Inside the engine bay is the K-member, the metal piece attached with bolts(black) that the motor sits on. By looking at the motor mounting brackets (the things sticking up with the slots), this method of mounting the engine was introduced in 1973. Earlier versions have a different engine mounting pad. Therefore this assembly is a later year replacement. It will still work, but the engine will require motor mounts from 1973-up. Often, if this is changed, the front end suspension pieces will also be changed, including the control arms, brakes, spindle etc. You can verify this by measuring the distance from the center of one wheel nut to the outside edge of another that is two nuts away. If it is 4.5" then it is the later 73-up bolt pattern, if 4" then it is the original 4" pattern. Just guessing, from the rear-end #s you posted, it is also 4.5" indicating it too had been replaced.

Nice project!

Grant

Have you looked at the radiator yoke/trunk lip stampings to see what they are?

The stamping should have the last 8 of the vin stamped in it. 9B399909

after much leg work my dad and i have found out that while storage things came up missing that where on it. i guess thats what happens when you live 600 mile away from the barn it was in. it didnt come with a factory dana 60 that was put in with a 440 in the late 70s early 80s the 440 was taken out buy the man my dad bought the car from and their once was a dana 60 4.11 in it but who only knows where that is well at least theres still something good to work with thanks again for everything. more pic to come thanks again

First off, disc brakes, HD Leaf Springs and Dana 60's, were not uncommon in the 70's adn early 80's. There would've been more of them floating around scrap yards then there are today. Take a pic of the rear end and we can tell you if it's a Dana 60.

The only way to corroborate your Dad's story is to find a build sheet. If not, it would only seem that you have a stripped down 340 Dart. Is it possible that your Dad embellished it a bit because he was impressed by the guy that beat him? The guy that sold it to him may not have been totally honest as well. Just a though, but only a build sheet will uncover the truth at this point.

I wonder if that Spool K-Member is one of those old Direct Connection B/RB Spool-mount K's from the 70's ????
They're pretty rare , especially these days .

That brown steering wheel is the deluxe , full-circle horn ring version . Not too common .

dose that mean its set up for a big block or small or dose it not mater i think i want to put a 360 in it if i can find one.

dose that mean its set up for a big block or small or dose it not mater i think i want to put a 360 in it if i can find one.
A closer pic of the K frame Ear mounts would tell if is set up for big block or small block, especially the drivers side mount. If you are going to put in a 360, then you might want to take the K frame out(if it is a BB set up), sell it, and replace it with a SB k frame. You might make a couple bucks on the deal.

here is a link for k frame id...LINK

Wow looks like alot of swapping went on back in the day on this car. The 73 up K frame makes me think it is also a single piston front brake. With the rear swap also I wonder if it was switched to large bolt wheels.

Hey...looking for some advice on a 1969 dart swinger 340 4-speed car too. I'm looking at a rolling chassis that's going for $7000. Car is solid and the fender tag is as follows;

J25 R11 V8X END
V2 V2 D2X X9 513 235589
E55 D21 LM23 P9B 377066

What is it worth?

Hey J You have a great car to work with. Finding a 360 is easy and the swap has been done a bunch before. You will have a great ride when you're done. It'll beat most stock new cars out there because of its light weight. You're also getting apiece of American history rolling again. Be patient and have fun.

This is an old thread. I wonder if that car ever made it back on the road?

Hey...looking for some advice on a 1969 dart swinger 340 4-speed car too. I'm looking at a rolling chassis that's going for $7000. Car is solid and the fender tag is as follows;

J25 R11 V8X END
V2 V2 D2X X9 513 235589
E55 D21 LM23 P9B 377066

What is it worth?

toolman, might be worth that if the body is in real good shape. got any pics?

For toolman.....

L=Dart
M=Medium trim level
23=2 door hardtop
P=340 4 bbl
9= 1969
B= Hamtramck plant
377066= the 337,066th car built at Hamtramck in 1969

E55= 340 4 bbl 275 hp
D21=4 speed trans
V2= Hemi Orange exterior (EV2)
V2= upper door paint (EV2)
D2X= Vinyl Bench seat (X= black)
X9= black
J25=3 speed wipers
R11= Am Radio-2 watt
V8X= Sport Stripe/ longitudinal tape (X=black)
END= end of codes
235589= production order number
513= May 5th production scheduled date

Hope this helps!! $7k for a roller is a bit too much, unless the correct numbers matching drivetrain is included!! Geof

Thanks for the info on the fender tag cosgig...I'm still on the fence about the car. It's a 1 1/2 hour drive from my house.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 157
-
Back