HELP - 1991 Jeep Cherokee 4X4

-

guzzimike

Reaction score
My Jeep Cherokee Laredo has 320K Miles. I've owned it since new.

Has a 2" lift kit and new shocks installed 2 years ago. Just did the front brakes and the wheel bearings are OK.

It has developed the dreaded "Wobble" and I feel that next I should replace all the rubber bushings and ball joints...They are a bit worn (again, 320K Miles - )

Any ideas or recommendations for a good source for these replacement parts..?

Thanx.

-

Your local parts store, got mine at auto-zone. With only 2in OEM is good.

Be sure to replace the Steering Stabilizer with an original factory steering stabilizer from Jeep. Do not buy anothing aftermarket...the factory Jeep stabilizer is perfect, even for large lifts, bigger tires, etc.

In my experience, that is the primary cause for Death Wobble.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule!

Be sure to replace the Steering Stabilizer with an original factory steering stabilizer from Jeep. Do not buy anothing aftermarket...the factory Jeep stabilizer is perfect, even for large lifts, bigger tires, etc.

In my experience, that is the primary cause for Death Wobble.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule!

Thank you for that advice. When we put in the 2" lift, we got new shocks all around, new lower control arms and an aftermarket stabilizer..

At this time, considering the age and mileage on the steering/suspension parts, I plan on replacing all the bushings ( all 4 control arms, sway bar links, upper & lower ball joints, track Bar, tie rod and drag link ends, etc..)

I think that I found a place with decent pricing on parts..

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/cherokee/menu.htm

---

Make sure your parts are moog. I used an AZ upper ball joint on my Jeep and the threads pulled right out of the nut before I hit 75% of the torque rating. Don't buy front parts based on price. Get Moog or the NAPA equivelent.

Don't bother replacing the swing arm bushings, just replace the whole swing arm. They are cheap and it will save you a ton of headaches. There is one bushing on the front axle that you will have to replace. Check your trackbar as these wear and are a big contributor to death wobble.

You are on the right track to just replace all the front end parts. My '92 Cherokee had 230K and everything was trashed. Just do it!

Yup, SUMTHIN about the panhard bar is the cause of 99.9% of all death wobble out there. You can take the steerin stabilizer off and chunk it in the garbage and not see death wobble. They don't cause it, they never have. It's only function is to keep the wheel from bein snatched outta your hand goin over rough and uneven terrain. That's it. I would look at the panhard bar bushings, and the mounts on the frame. Make sure they dont have any cracks where they are welded to the frame. I've seen that a lot.

I would make sure your lower link bushings are good.
Death wobble is sometimes a caster issue. Think about the front wheels of a grocery cart. Imagine them running down the highway at 70 MPG. The lift kit manufacturers usually suggest the lower links to correct caster, to minimize the "floppy shopping cart wheel" syndrome.

Agreed on the Moog stuff....:thumblef:

Ball joints, Tie Rod and tie rod ends, Track Bar, sway bar frame bushing and downlinks will be from Moogs

http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/products.asp?cat=3129

I also plan on replacing the Upper and Lower Control Arms. The OEM units look chintzy, and of course, with 320K Miles, they are beat..

I want something more substantial than OEM, but I'd rather stay away from the adjustable Control Arms..

My Jeep has been fitted with the 2" Lift Kit, so most Aftermarket non-adjustable Control Arms are too long (they typically start at +3" lift applications), such as these:

http://www.discountjeepparts.com/images/products/warrior/war800027.jpg

Can anyone recommend some good Control Arms that would work with my Jeep..?

TIA.

--

UPDATE:

I just finished installing Energy Suspension Polymer bushings at the Shock mounts and the Sway Bar downlinks..(Cost was $3.99 and $12.99 respectively)

shockbushings.jpg
EndLinks8red.jpg

Big Difference..!

No more "clunkning" noises when driving on uneven pavement or ruts, handles much more crisp and precise, and during my Test Ride, I took this deep bump at an intersection near my house where people are always bottoming out...at 40 MPH

The Jeep took it at 60 MPH in total stride..!!

Railroadtracks are not even noticeable...The steering wheel just stayed neutral over all obstacles and transmitted no adverse vibrations..

This is cool :glasses2:

I'm still going to replace all the other stuff, but this is a good result for 4 Hours' worth of work..and $20.00

---

UPDATE:

I just finished installing Energy Suspension Polymer bushings at the Shock mounts and the Sway Bar downlinks..(Cost was $3.99 and $12.99 respectively)

shockbushings.jpg
EndLinks8red.jpg

Big Difference..!

No more "clunkning" noises when driving on uneven pavement or ruts, handles much more crisp and precise, and during my Test Ride, I took this deep bump at an intersection near my house where people are always bottoming out...at 40 MPH

The Jeep took it at 60 MPH in total stride..!!

Railroadtracks are not even noticeable...The steering wheel just stayed neutral over all obstacles and transmitted no adverse vibrations..

This is cool :glasses2:

I'm still going to replace all the other stuff, but this is a good result for 4 Hours' worth of work..and $20.00

---

I still have to replace my swaybar bushings, shock bushings have been replaced. A good source for control arms is www.quadratech.com.

Good to hear of your sucess!

I still have to replace my swaybar bushings, shock bushings have been replaced. A good source for control arms is www.quadratech.com.

Good to hear of your sucess!

Thank you...

( BTW, my OEM lower shock bushings were destroyed, completely munched..POS soft rubber bushings - were only two years old in place in my Jeep)

I am looking at these Control Arms:

http://www.quadratec.com/category/Jeep+Control+Arms/121/index.htm

and also these:

http://www.discountjeepparts.com/index.php/cPath/91_3044_9423

---

As a person who is obsessed with the xj/mj the best place to start is with your track bar, also with your two inch lift you might want to drop the extra couple bucks on some adjustable lowers so you can get your caster all dialed in.

-
Back