Help 360 getting hot

-

Madhatter1776

Reaction score
Ok sooo I have swapped ove a /6 to 360, I have a hughes wiplash cam in it, and a torker intake, and a holley 4bbl. I bought a new radiator from spectra (autozone) new hoses etc. Engine just had a freshen up with bearings so its still stock, crankshaft was done however. Here is the issue, I have a 40 mile round trip commute, in the morning I can drive with no real issues, engine runs about 198, 199*. will get cooler once I get into town about 193 or 194*. On the way home I run about 210* and still climbing, it seems to happen when I get on the stretch were I can get to run about 55 or 60 mph with no lights or real stops. I have read straightlinespeed's post and he had a similar issue so here is a list of what I have done so far.
Checked and played with timing( all sorts of ways)
Swapped lower hose for flex hose with spring
played with 4bbl jetting was 72 now 76
installed fan shroud
swapped with 3 different fan clutches
found carb mounting gasket leaking, replaced
I do have a 195* t-stat
replaced Radiator cap
Now I have a set of 318 heads on it as I had done for a whole different story, also I did swap pulley's as both my 318(different story) and 360 were once equipped with a/c and now they are not, I do believe they were from a 340, also the water pump I am using was off of the 318 however I have done some research and they seem to be interchangeable
There is a heavy duty etc I am not sure if that will make a difference, the only other thing other than that is I have not checked the actual temp with a gun (ment to do that today I forgot the gun a work). I am ruunig out of ideas so any help would be great. Thanks in advanced,

Bryan

Either it does not have enough coolant flow or not enough radiator. I lean toward not enough radiator.

Radiator should be fine. Burp the system. Take radiator cap off, jack front end up car up and let it warm up to burp all the air out of the system. And fill as needed

make sure the lower radiator hose is not kinked where it makes it turn upwards to the water pump....

I have a similar problem as you, with the same radiator. Im starting to suspect the radiator isnt up to the task.
Couple other thoughts.
Use a 8 blade water pump instead of a 6 blade.
Try a fixxed fan instead of a clutch fan.
Use a smaller AC upper pulley. Spins more ?
Go to a 160 free flow thermastat.

If it's a two core replacement radiator brass/ copper it's going to be a little short. I would take it back and get a hi performance aluminum or if you have the original take that rad that and have a hi efficiency 3 or 4 core made out of it. Last resort is this new one you have converted to the three / four core.

Since it is running hottest when the engine is running hardest and producing the most heat, sounds like the rad is too small or there is an air or coolant restriction. How many rows on the radiator? And how wide is the core? Is it the full width of the core support opening?

I had the same issue with my 72 Dart its also a 360 built to about 400HP. I replaced the radiator with a new after market Aluminum one (Champion brand I believe). The car would still heat when cruising the town. Then added a 16" electric fan to the front of the radiator (It blows back toward the engine fan) and found a place to mount a toggle switch in the car to turn it on when needed. I don't have to run the fan much but its nice when its needed. I also only run about 20% anti-freeze which helps if you can keep it out of cold weather.

Ok, so I have tried to burp the system, I did not see anything out of the ordinary, It does seem to be flowing ok so we shall see if it worked. I think before I rip off the water pump as I think it is a 8 blade as it come off the 318 with a/c so I assume so (did not really look when I put it on) or swap the radiator I am gonna try to swap the upper pulley first as all this is cheap and simple first. I will update when all is done and test ran. Thanks

I don't know about Mopar but with Ford small block there are regular and reverse flow water pumps depending on what types of pulleys you are running. Can the water pump be running the wrong direction?

Ok so can any one tell me what the timing is suppose to be, I have tried swapping out the pulleys, also out a fixed fan on, I have run it however, now I am not sure about the radiator. Now before I blame the radiator, my timing is set at 8* base, I can not tell you what overall timing is, I am also having a fuel issue with not getting good fuel mileage soooo I think I need to figure out what the proper timing is, the engine was out of a 85 d150 it does have the whiplash cam from hughes can anyone tell me where to start. I have tried looking it up on the interweb and seem to find anywhere from 14* down to like 4*, I think I am gonna start high and work my way low, but If I can get a tip I would be less confused thanks.

1.......8* is surely not enough initial. There are literally dozens of posts on here about this, here's one

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=158842

Look for other posts by crackedback

2....Regardless of the size of the rad, "Oldmanmopar" sometime back posted that he believes fins can work loose and lose heat transfer. I'm convinced that is what was wrong with mine.......on a whim I threw in a used /6 rad and it cooled the 360 / 318 (both mild engines) just fine

...make sure you have antifreeze in the system (not just water) and maybe some water wetner as well...

ok, I am a bit more confused, at the risk of sounding like an idiot, I am reading my timing like this, the timing cover is 10 btc to center 0 then down to 10 atc, the zero gap on the harmonic balancer I have set at the third line from the top ten, so I am guessing that is 8*, now after reading an researching I think that is wrong, I am not sure how guys are getting 38* or even 14* inital, I have tried to find some sort of online help with pics and so forth but cant seem to find it. Soooo I think if I can clear this up I can begin to properly time my poor 360, then go from there. Thanks

Really sounds like the radiator isn't up to the task.

Anthony

-
Back