Help! Also, Dual Centrifugals?!?

-

StrokerMan

Reaction score
Ok here it is. I'm in the middle of planning an overhaul of my 82' Dodge pickup and was wanting to supercharge my engine. Roots style looks bad *** but I hear a lot of good things about the centrifugal style. Also due to ease of installation and inter-cooling it's what I'll probably go with. Hood clearance too. Even though that scoop/carbs coming out of the hood looks wicked, it's just more work than I need right now.

So about the engine. I have an almost new crate 360/408 stroker (long and irritating story) that I'm going to gut out and rebuild; little lighter 4340 forged internals, 10.0-1 compression, aftermarket heads, custom cam, exhaust, converter, ect. ARP everywhere. TCI trans. with gear venders overdrive. Upgrade the suspension and bulletproof the Dana 60 out back.

So I'm going to go this far right? Why not supercharge it?!?

I'm not to familiar with superchargers though as this will be my first, and I got to thinking (which I do too much of), what if I could get a dual 4barrel intake and run two centrifugals? Link below:

[ame]http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Offy-Offenhauser-Mopar-dodge-plymouth-273-318-dual-4-four-quad-intake-/181301724108?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a366cc3cc[/ame]

That looks freakin cool right??? Plus it would let me used two carbs with chokes, and still give me the option of monster cfms, since it will be drivable on the street. But I was thinking I might run into back pressure issues, or would I not due to the belt driven aspect. Anyway if I tune down the boost on each is it possible? And any other info y'all could give as this will be my first time supercharging an engine. Thanks!

Also thought of branching the tube from one supercharger between two carbs using the intake above. My issue stems from limited cfms when using choked carbs.

You're concerned that hood clearance with a roots would create more work but you're up for plumbing dual centrifugals with intercooling through a dual quad manifold? :) :)

If you're new to forced induction you need to research it. Aside from the online resources, pick up a book like "Street Supercharging". You'll want lower static compression than 10:1. And plan on spending more $ than you think.

I had just heard that 10 was the max. Don't think it'll matter anyway since my head combo will have a low 9. I'm not really concerned with the work of cutting a hood, I just wanted to keep it under, also not real good at exterior body work. Also the inter-cooling was just an afterthought. I might not do it right away.

One problem I see that might have to be addressed is the balance of the two superchargers. With one feeding each carb how are you going to make sure that you are getting the exact same boost to each carb? If you sent the boost to a common tube and then split it with one tube going to each carb then you should be alright. If you think that a roots is lots of work, boy are you in for a surprise with the setup you are taking about.

Jack

One problem I see that might have to be addressed is the balance of the two superchargers. With one feeding each carb how are you going to make sure that you are getting the exact same boost to each carb? If you sent the boost to a common tube and then split it with one tube going to each carb then you should be alright. If you think that a roots is lots of work, boy are you in for a surprise with the setup you are taking about.

Jack

The balance thing is what I was worried about. It just looks like hooking up a centrifugal kit with a blow through style carb seems easier than a roots. I know two of them is a little crazy, I just wanted to know how crazy. I'm probably only going to go with one. What are your thoughts on the two carb intake being fed by one charger?

one more thing you might not be able to run a choke on a centrifugal supercharger.[/QUOTE]

I could see how they might interfere. Can you put a centrifugal on an EFI setup like the ones from edelbrock, ect.

-
Back