help annoying pop in exhaust

-
Im with madscientist,i would get a leak down tester & put TDC #1 & see if its leaking past vales then look @ lifter preload. I worked on a small block chevy a long while ago that had very close to your problem turned out to be a flat camshaft lobe. It didn't have noisy valve train eather. Spelling sucks sorry.

If you do a leakdown test and it comes up negative, I would get to tapping that exhaust valve a dozen or so times to see if things change. Be careful not to drive the valve into the piston. Tap, not pound.Try to do it on a fully warmed up engine, getting it done as quickly as possible while everything is still good and warm.

So I took a feeler Gauge checking preload and #1 exhaust had lots of play I taped .047 feeler up made a shim to take slop started and the pop is gone!!!! Pull shim it's back.... so the exhaust valve isnt opening fully gonna get new rocker and try that first as a fix. Any other ideas?

I guess if push rods are good rocker arm doesn't fix it the leak down was good that goes back to the reply like the sbc it has to be a flat cam lobe. I really appreciate all the reply and info to get me in the right directions thanks. Also I will post what the actual problem is and what the fix is

Your welcome! Its a pain. in the A but if tou have a real good magnet & the lifter hasn't been in there for a long time you can remove rockers & push rods & pull that lifter & see if the bottom of it is now a shot glass! I did the same thing on my 1st cam swap back in high school (bout 20 yrs ago! Lol) Let us know what you end up finding!

Your welcome! Its a pain. in the A but if tou have a real good magnet & the lifter hasn't been in there for a long time you can remove rockers & push rods & pull that lifter & see if the bottom of it is now a shot glass! I did the same thing on my 1st cam swap back in high school (bout 20 yrs ago! Lol) Let us know what you end up finding!

Like this? I pulled this one out of my 318 on Saturday. Sorry if the pic is upside down, my iPhone isnt being cooperative.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 96
Ok removed rocker arms and shafts for fun I pulled push rods exhaust rod was visually shorter I had some laying around dropped it in bolted up and the pop is cured so the problem was incorrect length pushrod #1 cylinder exhaust valve

Well jiminy. I learned something new on this one. I thought that valve was hanging up. But in fact it was opening very late and closing very early. Its a wonder the pushrod stayed in the cups!
I also wonder how that one short pushrod ever found its way into the engine in the first place.
thank button pushed.

-
Back