Help! Axle Play

-

mopar_1974

Reaction score
I am just getting done istalling the axels in my 8 1/4 and it seems like there is too much play in the axels. How much should it have? how do i get rid of it?

Are you speaking of end play on the axles or backlash? I have one tore down in the shop and if i remember they have the C clips that hold em in place. Have you had it long? Was it just rebuilt? Are the C clips in place? Let us know.

the axles seem to move in and out way too much for me. almost a quarter of an inch. the c clips are in place. i just replaced the open carrier for a sure gripped one and i dont remember the old one moving that much. there arent any shims in with the c clips are there?

I never cared much for that design but it works. I'm not aware of a shim pack to reduce the axle end play. About a 1/4" is pretty much normal.
Shims would need to be located outside the wheel bearing. Last thing you would want to do is push the axle end toward the center pin. To break that lil set screw in the center pin will be a bad day.

I just went and checked the old 8 1/4 I have and end play is around an 1/16th of an inch. normally the axel sits up against the pinion shaft and the c clip as you pull the axle in and out. Maybe the sure grip unit is causing the problem.

I don't know but for some of you that do, is there a slug spacer that goes between the axles in the center section? On the 8.75 if useing the stock bearings there is a slug spacer. If useing green bearings the slug is not needed. Not sure on the 8.25. 1/4" seems a little excessive. I'll get to the shop today and i'll check the book for any pointers.

i appreciate the help guys. let me know what you find out. it has to go in today regaurdless.

-
Back