Help-Brake bleeding failure

-

Robert Sweeney

1966 Plymouth Barracuda
Reaction score
Question,

I’ve been working on the brake system on my car for probably four months.

Started with a four-wheel disc brake conversion as when I bought the car there were no brakes or break lines. I ran all new lines and fitting along with a brand new dual master cylinder, and the kit supplied calipers and such.

Originally, I consistently had leaks, probably due to poor flares and not tightening the lines enough... but those all have been fixed and I have no leaks from any fittings or anything of the sorts.

I’ve been trying to bleed the brakes: bled the master cylinder and then pump the brakes 15 or so times, then starting at the rear passenger side, opening the bleeder with the pedal down, tightening it before the pedal is released.....I’ve tried this at all four calipers...

So based on previous leaks, I know fluid is at least to the banjo nut, BUT NOTHING OUT OF THE BLEEDERS...Any of them!

So before I go out and purchase new pre-bent lines just to make sure it’s not my poor skills, is there anything I’m missing?

I’ve always started by gravity bleeding first. Assuming the master had been bled properly, remove the master cylinder cover and fill it to the top. Leave the cover off, open all the bleeders and wait for fluid to start dripping from bleeders keeping an eye on the fluid in the master keep it to the top. Close the bleeders when there is a constant drip of fluid. This could take a minute or an hour. Once they’re all closed (don’t forget to put the cover back on the master cylinder) then you can bleed with pedal pressure. I’m sure folks have different ideas, this way has been my preferred method for many years. Good luck.

Last edited:
Question,

I’ve been working on the brake system on my car for probably four months.

Started with a four-wheel disc brake conversion as when I bought the car there were no brakes or break lines. I ran all new lines and fitting along with a brand new dual master cylinder, and the kit supplied calipers and such.

Originally, I consistently had leaks, probably due to poor flares and not tightening the lines enough... but those all have been fixed and I have no leaks from any fittings or anything of the sorts.

I’ve been trying to bleed the brakes: bled the master cylinder and then pump the brakes 15 or so times, then starting at the rear passenger side, opening the bleeder with the pedal down, tightening it before the pedal is released.....I’ve tried this at all four calipers...

So based on previous leaks, I know fluid is at least to the banjo nut, BUT NOTHING OUT OF THE BLEEDERS...Any of them!

So before I go out and purchase new pre-bent lines just to make sure it’s not my poor skills, is there anything I’m missing?

Get yourself some speed bleeders to replace the regular bleeders. Crack all four open and pump away. They have an internal valve so they don't let air back in when pumping the pedal.

Edit: Gravity bleeding has indeed pushed fluid through 3 of 4 calipers. Waiting on the driver side front caliper and should be good to go!

THANK YOU!!!

-
Back