help converting frt hubs to 4.5" B.C.

-

OUTLAW

Master of All Mopars
Reaction score
Ok ...What is the hot ticket for getting a 5 on 4.5 inch bolt pattern on the front wheel? I have spent a month looking for some custom 5x4 wheels that I like and ...zip ! Almost the only ones making anything is centerline and I want chromed steel wheels. So it looks like I need to convert the car. I don't want to go to a Wilwood brake conversion to do it. Is there any place to pick up a wheel bearing hub that will fit my spindle and have 4.5 inch pattern other than the AMC hubs (they are harder to find than a mopar hub)

isnt it easier to just put in a newer frontsuspension with diskbrakes and all the other stuff? i have an mopar action magazine lyin somwhere here wish had a name of a company that had tried wich discs fits what exept where they where suposed to fit, i will hava a look:)

thats what Im trying to avoid is replacing all the frt suspension. There has got to be a simpler way to get 4.5 " bolt pattern up front with out re inventing the whole front suspension

You can send you Hubs and Rotor to Moser Eng. and have them redrill them.

I have a set of re-drilled drums for a pre-73 A-Body... I was talking with somebody on this board who wanted to buy them, but I can't remember who it was. If that guy is no longer interested, would you be interested?

It's a 10" x 2.5" drum setup from a '71 Demon that was professionaly re-drilled for the bigger bolt pattern. I'm in the middle of swapping on a Wilwood disc brake setup, so I don't need these anymore.

Mopower71:
ya i did the disc conversion but i stayed with the 4 inch bolt pattern (PS the brakes work great)

mikelbeck: dont need the drums but do you have the hubs that went with the drums ? (probably using them right ...LOL)

adam: I cant send mine to Moser-there isnt room to go to 4.5 on my hubs (they been modified)

OUTLAW said:
Mopower71:
mikelbeck: dont need the drums but do you have the hubs that went with the drums ? (probably using them right ...LOL)

I've got the whole package... But you'd want the drums with the hubs, as they were drilled together.

All there is to it 73 to 76 Dart or Dart Sport get the upper A Arm spindle , rotor and calbers. You my have to change lower ball joint . Lower control arm is same and I belive lower ball joint is to .Just the top is bigger on disc brake one. I did on 70 dart before got light weight wilwood . Also get porporting valve off donor car.

I've got a pair of Centerline Convo Pro wheels 15x6's that I JUST took off my dart. They are in the small bolt patter and in perfect shape.

Let me know if you are interested in buying them.

[email protected]

Here be the re-drilled brakes:

oldbrakes1.jpg

oldbrakes2.jpg

Yeah, I know, crappy pictures. ;-)

the convo's and the centerline and the cragars are the ONLY wheels produced in 4 inch pattern

LAR_414: how much$$$ you talking as that would be the easiest route considering I just converted to disc brakes 2 weeks ago

lantzn: I ran with those in the rear for ever but I wouldn't trust them in front for a minute ...........danger-danger!! Also is Lantz your first name?

Johnny P: biggest reason I didnt do that years ago is there are no donors in this area and ebay + freigh = insane $$$$

mikelbeck: wouldnt need the drums (someone else might) as I converted to disc and cut my hub to retain the 4inch B.C.

OUTLAW said:
lantzn: I ran with those in the rear for ever but I wouldn't trust them in front for a minute ...........danger-danger!! Also is Lantz your first name?

Yes it's Lantz Newberry. Mom liked the name and only knew the "Walter Lantz" of Woody Woodpecker fame's spelling of it. Girls sure like the spelling. ; )

I'm asking $225 for the front wheels, including lug nuts, center caps, screw in valve stems. They are in perfect condition. Just mount your tires and you're off....nothing missing. Nothing needs polished or anything. That includes shipping too.

Let me know.

I also have back wheels, in 15x10 with 5 inch backspacing, in the large bolt pattern, for sale.

Thanks,

Larry

Lantzn reason I ask is that my name is Lantz also .... same reason Walter Lantz ....hell of a Coincidence

Wow, resurrected a really old thread...;-)

I have 2 sets of the Kelsey Hayes Disc brakes for the front of my 64/66 A bodies. While talking to a friend of mine he mentioned that converting these to the larger boilt pattern was as easy as changing to a Mustang GT Hub/ Rotor. Being old enough to know that "nothing" is that easy...I figured I would bring it up here.

He tells me that the Mustang set up is almost identical in size to the Early A Spindle size, and the rotor is almost the same diameter...Says it is a "bolt on".

Anyone ever heard of this? If this works, it would be excellent...

Thank You,
Clint S,
San Gabriel (LA)

Do yourself a BIG favor, just convert to the '73-up pieces and be done with it.
Trying to Mickey Mouse some other stuff on that's "close" is risky business where brakes are concerned.
I also don't subscribe to the "redrill" procedures, either, as there's just not enough extra built into the stock components for it to be safe, IMO.

There's only one true way to do it the first time, THE RIGHT WAY!!

Mark.

-
Back