Help converting to power steering in my '68 Dart

-

Reddartowner

UCF Alumni....Go Knights!
Reaction score
Hey,

I would like to convert my '68 Dart from manual to power steering to improve the ratio and reduce the effort. I have been told that I need to swap out the manual column steering shaft for a power steering column shaft. Does anyone know how to do this, or is there another option.? I have the factory service manual (on CD), but it's a little vague and it would be nice to get the info from someone who's already done this...

TIA,

Mark

The shaft for power steering is about 3 inches shorter than the manual shaft. Once the horn button, top nut, snap ring(s) etc.. are removed from the top, the shaft should slide out the bottom.
Some guys will drill out the nylon pins and colapse the manual steering shaft instead.

if you want i have a power steering shaft. i will swap you even

I don't have the pump and gearbox yet, but once I get them I'll get in touch with you....thanks. :D

Mark.

Before you buy anything. if you use a later model steering gear you will need the correct pitman arm, idler arm and center link.
If you want to change the gear box and shaft length only you will need the earlier power steering gearbox. Simpliest way to identify them is the size of the nut under the pitman arm. Measure the nut you have on your manual steering gear. The correct steering gear will have the same size nut. That pitman is the same too.
Later model steering gear will have a 1&5/16"( 1.3125 ) hex nut. Thats the one that will bolt in providied all those other parts are bolted in with it.

SO LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT i SCORED A POWER STEERING GEAR OUT OF A 66 CUDA TO PUT IN MY MANUAL STEERING 65 CUDA. DO i NEED TO GO GET THE SECTOR SHAFT AS WELL?

The shaft in the column is shorter for power steering because the power steering gearbox is longer. The difference is about 3 inches. A lot of people have simply drilled out the nylon sheer pins in the colapsable shaft to make it shorter. I'm not recommending you do that, just saying

-
Back