HELP! Driveshaft length question...

-

thejohnnyguy

Young Gun
Reaction score
I have seen the chart, and according to the chart the length i'm looking for is 51.96" I want to be 100% sure though before taking it to get shortened.
I have a 72 Scamp powered by a 318, 904 - 8 3/4" 741 SG case. If anyone knows this would be a great help!! Thanks!!!

measure it slid the front yoke in the transmission not all the way. like were the seal was riding on the yoke. measure from center of u joint cap on front yoke to center of u joint cap on rear yoke

Listen, take your shaft with the slip yoke attached or not attached, jack the car up by the rear, slide the slip yoke in until it bottoms out on the trans......

Then measure from the center of the u-joint in the slip yoke, to the center of the the u-joint at the end yoke on the diff...
OR to the flat on the end yoke that the strap kit mates to....

Then bring that measurement to your local driveline shop and tell them you measured center to center with the slip yoke bottomed out...

IF... IF they do not understand that, run.....

Well I hate to say it, but to measure the shaft right. You need to have the weight of the car on the axles. You have to pull the yoke out of the transmission 1 inch. Then take your measurements from the center of the trans yoke to the ceneter of the pinion yoke. You have to some were for the the yoke to move when driving a car, that why you have to pull it out 1 inch

The shop can make the adjustment for the slip needed..
Some mopars need more than an inch....

Trust me i do this ALL day

-
Back