HELP! Fires up but doesnt stay running :(

-

1PSilva

Hope this is an easy one... I have a 1973 Plymouth Duster that I am doing a custom/resto on and I ran across a problem. It starts super easy and fires up but as soon as I let of the igntition it dies. Everything is new from suspension up. Ignition is the Mopar Orange Box, Mopar Distributor and Voltage regulator. Wiring is all Painless. I am wondering if some thing is goofy with the ignition wiring ?

OMG! Well um why didn't I check that first? Sometimes you just over think way too much after staring at it for so long. Hooked up a meter and it shows no power in Run position but it does power up when cranked over to Start.

Next thing to do is check for power at the power end of the ballast resistor. If you have power there, but not at the coil terminal on the ballast, it is the ballast resistor that's causing the problem. If you don't have power, check your ignition switch wiring.

Thanks for all your help, I will check for power at the ballast and replace or rewire as needed. :)~ Thanks Again.

Run a temporary wire across the ballast resistor terminals (A paper clip works well for this!!!). If you stay running, get an new ballast. As stated above, common problem, carry a spare ballast or a jumper wire in glove box.

Did you just install the Painless harness? If so and you followed the instructions more than likely they are wrong! I hate to say that but I do have a diagram that will fix this problem and get you going. The way it is wired right now the only time there will be power is when the key is in the crank position. You have an older manual from before I was here and it has since been fixed. What kit are you using?

Shoot me an email and I will send you the updated file for it. Does your kit have the 920 ballast resistor B+ wire in it? Just have to figure out if you have an older harness or the updated one.

Email is [email protected]

Ok not seeing a 920 and the instructions skip from 919 to 921.... Hmmm

You may have the old instructions with the revised harness. Look and see if you have one under the hood. It will be a 14 ga. Blue wire with Ballast Resistor B+ on it. If not you will need to tie into the 914 Blue 14 ga. to feed ign. hot power to the ballast and move the 931 wire to the coil side of the ballast resistor.

-
Back