help for stroking a 361 BB

-

iran

Reaction score
hi guys;
i have a 361 engine which is a standard block and untouched , i was looking for a stroker kit for it.
i've found some info on 440source , then i searched for an aproperiate piston and i found one in summitracing.com .
i uploaded 2 pics here , one of them is informations on 440source and the other one is the piston that i found for my project .
the problem is that pin diameter does not match to my connecting rods and pin...
what is you 2 cent to me? what should i do ?

fdf.JPG

grerge.JPG

The 361 is not a commonly used engine and the possibility of an off the shelf piston for a stroker is really remote.

The piston you have selected is for a Pontiac engine and it is unlikely that the valve reliefs would even be in the correct place. If they were, there is the possibility of rebushing the rods to the smaller pin diameter.

If you are serious about stroking the 361 I would contact one of the piston manufactures, like Diamond or Ross and have them make a custom piston for your application.

Whew! A B-361 to stroke would be a bit of a challenge since the piston bore is small. A custom piston is probably your only way to get this done. Custom pistons start around the $1,000 area.

When you contact a manufacturer, you should certainly know what you want. Compression ratio, connecting rods to be used, flat top or dome, valve sizes to be used, forged or cast, etc....

Everything else can be obtained easy enough.

A buddy of mine is stroking a 361. He is using an aftermarket Pontiac piston with the chevy BB pin size along with aftermarket 6.7 rods with the chevy BB little and big ends along with a 440 source crank. I think he said it was going to be 423 ci. He is a Pontiac guy too and he thinks the valve reliefs will be close enough to use or be made to work with a little machining. He is a smart guy and has built many mopar and Pontiac stroker moters over the years, if he thinks it will work im sure it will. I think he is using the 361 because its so different and nobody ever builds one. His favorite combo for racing is the stock stroke 400.

-
Back