Help getting door open

-

lit671

Reaction score
My roomate just bought a 67 dart. The passenger door does not open from inside or out. I took the panel off and the linkage for the inside and outside handles are connected. Watching it when i pull on the linkage it like something is broke inside or its getting hung up on something... Also you cant push the doorlock down *** well.... Any help on how to get the door open would be great.....

sounds like some one has the striker adjusted to far in and it is to tight to me.
I have had a friend hold and pull on the outside handle and me inside and use my foot right where the sticker is. Hope you get it open and get it working right

It sounds like the door is not completely shut if the door won`t lock. Can you depress the door handle button?

It sounds like the door is not completely shut if the door won`t lock. Can you depress the door handle button?
I did not think about that Longgone, it could be just shut to the safety "first click location, I wonder how long it has been stuck :clock: I opened a door in a 66 Monaco one time and it was so tight it would not even shut, looked like some one painted it and closed the door and it never was opened again
I wonder if he was to put a jack under the front frame rail would it flex enough to help him out :dontknow:, or the rear frame rail.

my son in law had a 65 Fury that the back door latches had gotten so wet over the years, they were rusted shut. We soaked them in penetrating oil for a week or so then went in through the inside of the door with a long screw driver and manually activated the gear on the latch till they opened. We had a spare latch so we cold see exactly how it worked and where to push it. I think we bent something out of the way first and then put the screw driver on the gear and banged on it with a hammer.

i'm with the rusted shut & too tight on adjustment.

try this-- hold the leverback to open the door-- take your foot & push the door open-- -- kick it if you have too---
once it's open you can disassemble-- the mechanism ,Lawrence

Just Dukes of Hazzard that thing. Climbing in and out of it will help keep you trim and fit

I had one stuck on my 65, the latch mechanism was worn so badly that the door handle inside or out couldn't push hard enough on the mech to open. I reached inside the door found the latch lever and worked it by hand.

hey guys thanks so far for your input, im gonna go give it a try...i tried with a screwdriver from the inside to pop the door open and when prying on it it moves just like the driver door (that works) but then just stops, like it isnt going all the way over...Im gonna try kicking it and jacking the frame but im worried that I dont have many opitions (at least what i can think of) for getting it open if the jack and that dont work.... Again I appreciate you guys helping... this is my roomats first mopar, i have a 73 satellite that i built (never had any door problems though) :profilel:

Ha, well I feel like an idiot... I pulled on the inside handle and barely kicked the door and it came open... why we didnt do that to begin with is beyond me.... oh well its open now... thanks

-
Back