Help...how to remove the headlight knob

-

MoparN8

Reaction score
I'm trying to remove the dash bezel and cluster for my 65 Dart but I can't get the headlight knob off. The washer knob had an allen screw and it came right off but the headlight knob won't budge. tried unscrewing and pulling it but nothing. I was able to get the washer deals off behind both the knobs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 177
OK you cannot remove JUST the knob.....you have to pull the headlight knob all the way out ( headlights ON) then reach under the dash and push the button on the headlight switch( kinda hard to push )once you have it all the way down push the headlight knob back in a lil and push the button down a lil more then pull out the headlight knob & bar....

best to locate the button on the switch before you try all this it will likely be a lil difficult to get to

Reach under the dash and you will feel a small button on the switch body. Push the button in and pull the switch knob and rod out of the switch. You ca now remove the switch retaining nut from the dash.

Thanks guys...i'll try that. i have the original mechanics guide and all it says about this is simply "remove the wiper and headlight knobs..." not too insightful.

Depending on year model, that release button will be on the right side of the switch or on the bottom. You'll need to disconnect the battery cable too. Remove the one screw that holds the fuse box in its bracket . Push the fuse box up and back. It will rest behind its bracket. Pull the switch stem to its full on position, push the release button and pull it the rest of the way out.
Do not push the button when reinstalling the stem. That would wreck the catch. The stems tapered end will guide it in past the catch.

-
Back