HELP! I dont know how fast im goin...

-

thejohnnyguy

Young Gun
Reaction score
I know it's fast, haha. but in an effort to NOT get a ticket I need to fix my speedometer. I'm not sure where to start with this, but I know that speedometer stays pegged at 0 while I drive. please help if you can. thanks! :rock:

First thing to do is figure if the cable is broken.

One way is pull it off the trans, and drive it with a drill, have a friend watch.

Or pull the speedo end loose, and see if you can turn it. IF so, the cable is obviously not connected to the trans.

IF the cable seems OK, pull the plug out of the side of the trans, and inspect the gear, if it looks OK, insert the cable and make sure the square drive does not slip.

Check the "plug" that it is installed correctly. There's another post illustrating this, here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=137442

Still another way is to pull the cable off the speedo, get the end where you can see it, and after safely jacking up the rear and blocking the wheels, run the car in gear to see if the cable turns

I would start by checking to see if the cable is attached still to the back of the speedometer. If it is you might need to check the speedometer gear in the tranny.

Ok I just pulled it, drill test = passed, however the plastic connector it broken on the dashboard side of cable (part that holds cable to the speedometer) SO.... I know ill need to get a cable, i'll leave the cable connected at the tranny and drive it tomorrow and see if the cable spins.

Ok I just pulled it, drill test = passed, however the plastic connector it broken on the dashboard side of cable (part that holds cable to the speedometer) SO.... I know ill need to get a cable, i'll leave the cable connected at the tranny and drive it tomorrow and see if the cable spins.

Yeah mine isn't in all the way so it bounces around when i'm at idle. Makes a funny sound. Im just too lazy to reach back behind the dash and hook it up. Another way in the meantime to see how fast you are going is to hook up a tach and then pace next to someone on a road going the speedlimit, look down at the tach and note the RPM's This will give you a rough estimate when your running down the road.

Yeah mine isn't in all the way so it bounces around when i'm at idle. Makes a funny sound. Im just too lazy to reach back behind the dash and hook it up. Another way in the meantime to see how fast you are going is to hook up a tach and then pace next to someone on a road going the speedlimit, look down at the tach and note the RPM's This will give you a rough estimate when your running down the road.

haha, I've been surviving off my antique sunpro minitach... and the flow of traffic of course... I did find a speedo cable for bout $16, but I also may have one on my 73 swinger parts car... may be more worth it to just buy a new one though.

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1972/plymouth/scamp/body_electrical/speedometer_cable.html

just got a notic from [artsgeek.com saying that the cable I ordered is on backorder... *sigh* they refunded my money and basically said "good luck" where else can I get a good cheap new cable...

My advance auto fell through on me :'( they're the only place I shop... I was forced to call AUTOZONE! who said they can have the cable by 5pm today for 6.99!!! WHA!!! This certainly restores my faith in them, or I guess we'll see at 5 if it's the correct cable... :p

Sometimes autozone and advance will surprise you with stuff they can get for these old cars.
O'Reilly's as well. Kinda funny when you call up there in full doubt that they will even carry it and they say "yeah, we have one sitting on the shelf right now" Makes a bad day good everytime:mrgreen:

My new cable came from Oriley , I think it cost $15.99 complete w/cover,,,,,Sounds like that one is cable only....Good luck.

Man your like a really good search engine.

*Beep!* SYNTAX ERROR
redbeard.gif

Any of you masters of knowledge know where I went wrong here: I bought a speedocable from auto zone and it was 6.99, supposed to be 15.99(or so) it looked similar so what the hell. I took it home and it's not the correct size at the tranny hook-up. It measures about 3/4 (diam) and the one on my tranny measures almost an inch (diam). Is my trans from a different year maybe? or was my first mistake calling autozone? :p

get a gps until u get your speed o meter fixed

-
Back