Help I have an wiring issue

-

victa15

Reaction score
So I drove my Plymouth across town last night and someone yelled to me and said I had no tail lights or beak like lights. Turns out I don’t have any corner lights either. I have head lights and turn signals. I only have one back turn signal working. The fuse was blown. When I replace it and turn the lights on it blows. I replaced the light switch and that didn’t fix the problem. Looked all over and can’t see any damaged or broken wire. I unhooked the light harness from the back and the fuse still blew. Would it be in the fuse box? Or maybe turn signal switch? I’m not that good at wiring. Anything would be helpful thanks.

I'd say you have an issue with the rear wiring harness or more likely turn signal switch or the harness feeding it

Manually operated switches are always suspect but you'll want to rule out all else first including the tag lamp fixture. Unplug turn and hazard switches to isolate/alleviate the fault.
Turn signal switch more commonly effects brake/turn circuits, blowing those fuses. Hazard may be tied to park lamp fuse ( I don't know ). Good hunting

I had this issue with my Charger once. Found out that when I installed the brake light bulb (which has two hot prongs), one of the 2 connections in the light socket was grounding out against the inside of the socket itself. Kinda hard to explain but the picture might help.

I had this issue with my Charger once. Found out that when I installed the brake light bulb (which has two hot prongs), one of the 2 connections in the light socket was grounding out against the inside of the socket itself. Kinda hard to explain but the picture might help.

Seen that before, and sometimes one of the little springs under the contact plate is broken and laying against the terminal.

To the OP:
Where did the rear harness get disconnected from?
Under the drivers side floor kick panel or carpet?

I disconnected it from behind the kick panel
OK, That rules out everything at the rear, or from there back. So... what model Plymouth? What front lights work? Which fuse(s) blowing? In the end, the fault probably is the signal switch.

I think we are on the wrong track?? Turn signals?

Pull both flashers and or unhook the TS switch connector, that will tell for sure. Are you saying the kick panel connector is unhooked and you still blow the fuse?

Does the fuse ONLY blow when you pull out the light switch?

If so the likely suspect is up in the engine bay, the parking/ marker lights wiring.

"The fuse?" WHICH fuse?

You have a diagram / shop manual? Run over to MyMopar.com and download one

68 valiant. So I unhooked everything from under the dash and nothing. Turns out it’s one of the front side running lights. I unhooked them and fuse didn’t blow.

Not trying to criticize, but if you'd ask here before "throwing parts" at the thing it's likely we can save you money, plus the trouble to (example) tear out and replace the headlight switch.

These cars are fairly easy to troubleshoot once you learn a few tricks

it was a 12 dollar part and was loose. i had to get in there and change it out anyways. I was about to tear out the turn signal switch cause it doesnt work. but Ive been waiting to do so till i get a floor shift column. im going to take apart my front side marker lights and see what happened with them. my back side markers dont work either for some reason. they use to. but the car sat for over a year.

-
Back